Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Aelfric - Bloodied Spears: Book Review Options · View
VanessaFinaughty
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 1:24:36 AM

Aelfric – Bloodied Spears is a nice light read despite the serious storyline, which will leave you contemplating the reasons for war and how daft they are, amongst other things. Aelfric is forced into battle on the field of Cremen while his sister, Aelfwen, is left to the mercy of the brutal man who betrayed her brother.

The story follows Aelfric’s swift transition from boy to man, and he soon proves he’s more man than some twice his age. Take the desperate need to protect his sister, add the fact that he cannot do this until he’s fought an idiot king’s battles, throw in an evil sorceress with her own agenda, a few monsters, a love-struck queen and a fearsome warrior friend, and you have Aelfric – Bloodied Spears.

Winspear’s descriptions are particularly colourful and original, which probably played a big part in making this such an easy read that I read it in one sitting. The characters’ interactions and dialogue were realistic, enabling me to relate to them easily. My only complaint is that the character who died at the end died far too quickly – he was such a despicable person that I’d liked to have seen him suffer a bit. You will, no doubt, share my sentiments after reading the book.

I recommend this novella to anyone who enjoys a fast-paced fantasy that’s easy to follow, entertaining and well written. It’s worth the money.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury.

Find me on Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/VanessaFinaughty
Hire me as your editor: www.write-way-freelancers.com
Sherzahd
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:41:44 AM

I will try to get my hands on this. My must-read list is growing steadily, might need a few days off to catch up.

“Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

VanessaFinaughty
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:48:16 AM

Thank you :) The author will be happy :)

At the moment, he has it on Kindle Select, but that's changing and it will soon be on Smashwords, Barnes & Noble and a few other places. I'm not sure what's easier for you, but if Amazon is easiest, I thought you'd want to know it won't be there for much longer.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you - Ray Bradbury.

Find me on Smashwords: www.smashwords.com/profile/view/VanessaFinaughty
Hire me as your editor: www.write-way-freelancers.com