Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Verity
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 1:30:47 PM
Verity

Ping wrote:

I can't recall if I posted this. Check out the first song. Love it. Mesmerizing. The others are pretty good too.

Psst. Verbs. Left some limoncello for you in the fridge by the men's washroom. Sadly, that fridge doubles as sample storage for the clinic next door. Sorry bud. I forgot to cross out the label on the plastic sample cup for the limoncello.

Take your chances?
Yes, lovely music. I can imagine dancing naked around Stonehenge on the summer solstice. Too much information I guess. Regards, Veritycheerleader

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 3:48:20 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi peeps
A beautiful day here today
A large iced coffee sounds yummy

Ugh I'm working on my story I'll be skating under the wire I'm sure
Not alot going on
Too many people in town for the Pioneer Days lots of events going on .
*Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies*

Fresh cookies today :
In Big Bird we have: oatmeal raisin cookies, butterscotch sugar cookies, chocolate mint softies
And peanut butter and banana cookies
In Cookie Monster: ginger snaps, molasses crackles, peanut butter melts and cocoa snaps

*Giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats*
Stay safe everyone!

elizabethblack
Posted: Monday, July 19, 2021 6:44:50 PM
elizabethblack

Mendalla wrote:
Finally read up on what happened with the Nats-Padres game. Ugh. Surprised it hasn't made any of my usual news sources or Twitter follows. Only knew it happened because of Larry and Jeff talking about it.

Love how you help out with the church kids, Sara. Bet they get as much from your stories as from the lessons.

Well, as a native of the area, it didn't even make much news. Had 5 people shot and a 6-year old girl killed in a drive by by another car. That made the news. We have to have multiple bodies or a child killed or badly wounded to make the news. angry9 angry9 angry9 angry9 angry9 angry9

yurigagarin
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 12:16:26 AM
yurigagarin

Verity wrote:
Ping wrote:

I can't recall if I posted this. Check out the first song. Love it. Mesmerizing. The others are pretty good too.

Psst. Verbs. Left some limoncello for you in the fridge by the men's washroom. Sadly, that fridge doubles as sample storage for the clinic next door. Sorry bud. I forgot to cross out the label on the plastic sample cup for the limoncello.

Take your chances?
Yes, lovely music. I can imagine dancing naked around Stonehenge on the summer solstice. Too much information I guess. Regards, Veritycheerleader

Verity - Stonehenge - Dancing - Summer = 😊😎

There are no strangers here - just lots of friendly folk to chat with and stories to enjoy 👀
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 5:50:51 AM
Mendalla

Good morning. I visited Stonehenge just a couple years ago but there was neither Verity nor dancing happening. Must have gone on an off day.

I see a mysterious polar bear has wandered into the competition. Hope he drops by to introduce himself though he seems vaguely familiar, eh.

Coffee is on and kettle is boiling. I'm settling in for a rather quintessential Southern Ontario Summer day (high of 30C, humid, chance of evening showers).

My "A Survivor's Story" comp entry:

Us Survivors

Micro of the Day Stories:

The Target - an assassin gets more than he bargained for
Voldar -she mourns her city and rages at its failed defender

verbal
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:01:24 AM
verbal

I once again watched a baseball game til 2 in the morning. A crazy extra-inning Mets/Reds tilt that the Mets had no right to win (4 errors in the first two innings) but won anyway. Anyway, a bit bleary this morning.

Writing critique group went really well. This is the first one I’ve ever really been in, and I really like these guys. Supportive, but interested in the story, and how to improve it. No one gets offended or offensive. I really like it. And they liked my story!

I see more entries! Plus the Sensual Lady and the One True Ping. I look forward to reading and commenting. Really happy to be part of such a strong group of stories.

Okay. Time to put the words on the blank page.

Coffee and a banana cookie would hit the spot.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:20:13 AM
Rumple_deWriter

How y'all are? Our beloved leader is, as is sometimes the case, correct. This time it concerns news of a large, bear-figure shaped wearing an off-white fur coat and doing business over here as, James T. Bear . Apparently he was spotted leaving a entry in the Survivor contest which is, imo both inspirational and impressive.

Unbeaten!
JamesPBear
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/-unbeaten-.aspx

Be sure to check it out along with any other entries you may have missed. All are well worth a read or two.

Now I'll fill my mug with some of our leader's CCC (Canadian Club Coffee) grab a handful of Sarah's cookies and find a comfy chair at the corner table to meditate on the obfuscation of obvious truths.

Later, Inspirators. glasses8

It happened at a church summer camp so it must be true, right? ;)

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding[/url]

Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 9:55:46 AM
Mendalla

Just read and commented on Tams' story. Wonderful piece of wilderness survival fiction with a well-drawn lead character. Read it. Ape say so.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/general/-the-girl-with-more-than-one-name-.aspx

I will probably get to James next, though the ones from curiousannie and verbal are kind of beckoning, too.

Another warm one here, though no doubt cooler (but wetter) than Rump's digs in the desert. I am using the patio table as a desk once again. This weather is too good to pass up.

My "A Survivor's Story" comp entry:

Us Survivors

Micro of the Day Stories:

The Target - an assassin gets more than he bargained for
Voldar -she mourns her city and rages at its failed defender

Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 11:20:59 AM

Is anyone getting "404 errors" on SS?
DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 1:56:55 PM
DenimAngel

Hi peeps
A beautiful day here..
Spent the morning being productive getting housework done.
Now time to work on my story and maybe sneak in a nap
Other than that not much going on here.

*Peeking in the cookie jars* yay still in good shape
*Giving the adorable animals fresh water and treats*
Soon as I get my story submitted I'll read the rest of the entries
Exciting to see so many entries

Stay safe everyone!

KatarinaTechgoddess
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 4:44:40 PM
KatarinaTechgoddess

I've baked too many Snickerdoodles, as usual, and thought I'd share some here.

It's been over a week since the body shop said my car would be done in a week. LOL. I guess I will give them another day or two before I call again.

A cuppa tea with some lemon would be mighty tasty with a cookie or two!

I read the latest entries in the comp. Excellent storytelling!

coffee

~Kat~

I'm Still Alive
Violet_the_Verbose
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 7:30:46 PM
Violet_the_Verbose

What a cozy space you all have here.

I'll just have a cuppa while I try and get a feel for this place. I made an account recently after hearing about the almost closure of the site. I was really moved by everyone's passion to keep Stories Space going. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute to the survivor contest if I stop procrastinating long enough to finish my draft. I got a late start. The few stories I've read so far have been outstanding.

For those that think they know me from the dark side, I will say there's absolutely nothing filthy or obscene about me. I don't even know what the dark side is. Anxious Here, I keep it clean. toothy2
itsxanderkaidyn
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 7:33:49 PM
itsxanderkaidyn

Twitter: Come see this new post from Jane.
Me: *checks her account*
Twitter: Gotcha! She posted it earlier!

Ugh. Why are delayed notifications a thing?

Somebody: You attract what you fear.
Me: I'm terrified of Jane Lynch.
verbal
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 10:15:57 PM
verbal

Violet_the_Verbose wrote:

I'll just have a cuppa while I try and get a feel for this place. I made an account recently after hearing about the almost closure of the site. I was really moved by everyone's passion to keep Stories Space going. Hopefully, I will be able to contribute to the survivor contest if I stop procrastinating long enough to finish my draft. I got a late start. The few stories I've read so far have been outstanding.

For those that think they know me from the dark side, I will say there's absolutely nothing filthy or obscene about me. I don't even know what the dark side is. Anxious Here, I keep it clean. toothy2

Yeah, it’s a very calm, chill vibe here. And the cookies rock! (Thank Sara for those.)

It would be awesome if you entered! This comp is attracting quite the pool of talent! Here’s to late starts.

Mets lost, ho hum. A tea (and a COOKIE!) and I’m off to bed. Pet the monkey for me if you see her.
CuriousAnnie
Posted: Tuesday, July 20, 2021 10:24:21 PM
CuriousAnnie

Violet_the_Verbose wrote:

welcomes I will join you for a cuppa, and one of Kat's yummy Snickerdoodles. Just what I need on this cool winter's afternoon.

There is a V synonym for procrastinating, Violet - go get writing Violet the Verbose, or else at competition closing time you might find yourself transformed into a cat called Vacillating Violet flower L16
Violet_the_Verbose
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:34:46 AM
Violet_the_Verbose

verbal wrote:

Yeah, it’s a very calm, chill vibe here. And the cookies rock! (Thank Sara for those.)

It would be awesome if you entered! This comp is attracting quite the pool of talent! Here’s to late starts.

Mets lost, ho hum. A tea (and a COOKIE!) and I’m off to bed. Pet the monkey for me if you see her.

Thanks Verbal And Annie for the warm welcome ...think I’ll help myself to some of Sara’s cookies.
Thankfully I had the opening scene and the idea beforehand. Just have to retweak some of the ending bits, but I think I’m going to make the deadline somehow by some miracle with a few hours to spare, July 22nd
23:59:59 military time. ;)

gives the monkey some pats too
Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:28:19 AM
Survivor

Welcome to the joint, Violet. YOu have made a brilliant start by already reading my entry into the competition. Way to make friends and influence people.

I've cleaned the coffee maker, added Arabica grounds, and put fresh water into the teakettle. Everything will be ready in a few minutes. Enjoy.

flower
verbal
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:37:21 AM
verbal

Thanks for setting things up Larry.

I have Youtube reading tonight at 7 - if anyone is interested, I can throw you a link. Ping is even there sometimes, hoping against hope I will use the word nipple again (the last time I used it someone's mom was offended) (really). Hell, if anyone wants to READ I think she just had a cancellation. :)

Anyway. It's Wednesday, so Talia is working away from home. The cats and I are going to play a spirited game of cat-ball. Rules to be determined was we go along. I think there's a day game today too.

Rewriting all day today. The one about the coyotes and the one about the robotic geese.

A coffee and a small stack of Sara's cookies please. Time to get moving.
JamesPBear
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 11:29:30 AM
JamesPBear

Mendalla wrote:
Good morning. I visited Stonehenge just a couple years ago but there was neither Verity nor dancing happening. Must have gone on an off day.

I see a mysterious polar bear has wandered into the competition. Hope he drops by to introduce himself though he seems vaguely familiar, eh.

Coffee is on and kettle is boiling. I'm settling in for a rather quintessential Southern Ontario Summer day (high of 30C, humid, chance of evening showers).

Good afternoon, Oh Glorious Leader! Your fame spreads far beyond this humble space.

So – yes, I am, indeed a polar bear – and with respect, Rumple-deWriter, the fur is pure white, not off-white – I just washed it in the Arctic Ocean, off Iqaluit, in Nunavut, thank you very much!

Ladies and gentlemen of Stories Space, please allow me to introduce myself. I am James Polar Bear, a bear of very little brain, but enormous heart. I love people – usually medium rare (kidding – that's a little bear humour, you know) – and am eager to offer bear hugs to any and all comers!

I note, looking around some people that look kinda familiar, but please assume that I'm just ignorant. You won't be far off!

I love words. I love reading them, I love writing them, and I adore those who wield them with aplomb. Or panache. Or both.

I look forward to reading some of the great storytellers here, and hope to contribute my own little bagatelles from time to time.

If I inadvertantly give offence, please forgive me. I'm finding the ways of humans to be…strange. Bears are much easier.

So, hi! hello2

Addicted to words, read and written.
So far, I've written a grand total of three stories published here: Unbeaten! and The Bear and the Girl, in two chapters. Hope you enjoy them!
Verity
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 12:43:31 PM
Verity

JamesPBear wrote:
Mendalla wrote:

Good afternoon, Oh Glorious Leader! Your fame spreads far beyond this humble space.

So – yes, I am, indeed a polar bear – and with respect, Rumple-deWriter, the fur is pure white, not off-white – I just washed it in the Arctic Ocean, off Iqaluit, in Nunavut, thank you very much!

Ladies and gentlemen of Stories Space, please allow me to introduce myself. I am James Polar Bear, a bear of very little brain, but enormous heart. I love people – usually medium rare (kidding – that's a little bear humour, you know) – and am eager to offer bear hugs to any and all comers!

I note, looking around some people that look kinda familiar, but please assume that I'm just ignorant. You won't be far off!

I love words. I love reading them, I love writing them, and I adore those who wield them with aplomb. Or panache. Or both.

I look forward to reading some of the great storytellers here, and hope to contribute my own little bagatelles from time to time.

If I inadvertantly give offence, please forgive me. I'm finding the ways of humans to be…strange. Bears are much easier.

So, hi! hello2
Good day James Bipolar. Very pleased to meet you, again. I do hope you behave yourself. Welcome to the kinder, more gentile world of Stories Space. Regards, Verity

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 12:54:19 PM
Rumple_deWriter

Hump Day 'How do y'all do?' type salutations are hereby extended from your old somewhat immoderate moderator To all who enter. These greeting come with high fives and handshakes for those who behold with expressions of sympathy the polar bear sitting on a block of ice under the leaky old window A/C unit while overworking an unofficial Inspirations hand fan and moaning pitifully about the heat.

It was about Gary Cooper time (High Noon) when I last checked on the contest. For what it's worth and your information, the contest is still open and the number of entries remains at eleven. Me, I'm guessing the powers that be trying to ride herd on this contest will not shut it down until tomorrow morning -- but who knows?

It's over 100f out here in the valley of the sun so I'm gonna whip up some iced coffee. Wanna try some, Brother Bear?

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 2:35:42 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi peeps
A large iced coffee sounds good to me
Flirting with the competition deadline but I'll have something soon .
Busy morning but now time to relax and maybe sneak in a nap

hello2 hi new people
Okay for the new ones .. Big Bird cookie jar holds diabetic friendly cookies
Cookie Monster holds regular cookies .
I'm on the hunt for gluten free cookie recipes
Oh we are an animal/pet friendly places .. we have miss Purr the head cat around here , Victor the wonder pup. And miss Molly monkey the resident little monkey
Molly will share cookies and conversation with anyone

*Moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies*
In Big Bird we have pecan divines, peanut butter melts, White chocolate supremes and oatmeal raisin cookies
In Cookie Monster we have ginger snaps, cinnamon crisps, pineapple coconut cookies and cherry winks
*Giving the adorable animals fresh water and treats*
Have a great day everyone!

JamesPBear
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 3:45:48 PM
JamesPBear

Well, there goes my chance of finishing a competition in the Top 10! There are now 11 entries in the "Survivor" competition… angry7

So far, I've written a grand total of three stories published here: Unbeaten! and The Bear and the Girl, in two chapters. Hope you enjoy them!
gillianleeza
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 4:18:35 PM
gillianleeza

It's good to see the place so busy and new comp entries on the front page.

Welcome to everyone new.

I need to find some more recipes for fresh tomatoes. Last year's crop kept getting eaten by the local wildlife, so this year I over-planted. I picked twenty-two today. They are not ideal for canning or sauce, but I have been making fresh batches of salsa each day and various other tomatoes salads.

If anyone has any interesting recipes for fresh tomatoes, let me know.

Canada seems set to lift its border restrictions in August so I can visit my son in Vancouver without having to quarantine. My husband could go before since he is Canadian, but I would need to quarantine, which wouldn't work. Then after that visit, we can hopefully go to Newfoundland to see my husband's extended family. This time we'll fly. Not sure I want to make that car trip to Newfoundland again. It's rather long.

I hope everyone is having a good week so far. I'll take my usual handful of cookies and some lemonade.

Cheers!

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
itsxanderkaidyn
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 7:42:49 PM
itsxanderkaidyn

...so I got another message from a different IG account trying to impersonate Jane a bit ago. angry7

Honestly, I'm equal parts annoyed, thankful that I'm not dumb enough to fall for it, and smart enough to report them before somebody does fall for it.

Somebody: You attract what you fear.
Me: I'm terrified of Jane Lynch.
aussie_kitty77
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 2:12:29 AM
aussie_kitty77

Hi all

hope you have a wonderful day
The stories in the competition are all amazing
Good luck to everyone who has entered

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 6:19:21 AM
Survivor

aussie_kitty77 wrote:
Hi all

hope you have a wonderful day
The stories in the competition are all amazing
Good luck to everyone who has entered

Nice to see you dropping by, Wendy. I will have some coffee brewed and the water boiling soon. You can have coffee or tea if you please.

flower
JamesPBear
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 6:42:35 AM
JamesPBear

Good morning, all! And hello Aussie Kitty – is it Wendy? hello2

I'd like a cup of tea, Earl Grey, hot, please!

And I'm pleased to see the comp entries rolling in, especially glad that Sara got hers finished and submitted! Haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it! happy1

So far, the entries are remarkably good. Of course, this is the first competition I've entered here, but the quality seems high – maybe lower quantity means that quality has been concentrated?

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 8:06:47 AM
Rumple_deWriter

More entries! Yep, Da Bear done got it right, honest. Sarah and Verity both now have entries which pushes to total entry count to thirteen.. Me, I've read, voted and commented on them and can report that they are not only vastly different from each other and the 'typical' Stories Space submission but are equally well done. You can find them near the top of the main page so hurry up and do your two good deeds for the day.

If you get a chance, there are also some longish non-entries by The Shy Thespian, Annie, and Billy New.

Now having toiled in the vineyards this morning, I'll grab some of Sarah's cookies, fill my mug with Larry's Kansas coffee and flop into a corner comfy chair to rest my weary bones.

verbal
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2021 9:18:28 AM
verbal

gillianleeza wrote:

Canada seems set to lift its border restrictions in August so I can visit my son in Vancouver without having to quarantine. My husband could go before since he is Canadian, but I would need to quarantine, which wouldn't work. Then after that visit, we can hopefully go to Newfoundland to see my husband's extended family. This time we'll fly. Not sure I want to make that car trip to Newfoundland again. It's rather long.

Cheers!

Vancouver in August sounds lovely. Talia and I were actually re-opening the idea of a honeymoon train trip over the Rockies and up the left coast into Canada, but Covid is starting to raise is hellish head, and I fear we missed our window. Of course we still have to get married first. But that's just a fast trip downtown.

The Youtube reading went really well last night. Best ever, a few folks said (including the Mom who got offended by my use of the word nipple last year).

Anyway. Three new entries for me to read and comment on, including one by our resident Cookie Goddess and Braves Fan. Plus editing a little erotica - trying to find the actual story inside the mess I wrote a few weeks ago.

Coffee and competition-shaped cookies please!