Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2020 3:34:41 PM
AnnaMayZing

gillianleeza wrote:
Larry, I hope your wife's procedure goes well.

I didn't sleep much but that is the norm these days.

My cat had some neurological problems related to the blood clot or a possible stroke. He is eating, purring, and happy. But he can no longer jump and walks very slowly and carefully. He won't interact with his brother who is frustrated. Apollo will have to adjust to life down lower. I have boxes and baskets now all over the house on the floor for him. We will enjoy his company for as long as he still has and is happy and pain-free.

We have a memorial planned in Philadelphia on Saturday for my aunts. The service is graveside but lunch afterward at a restaurant has become a contentious point. Most people attending are in their eighties with health issues. My parents insist on attending that lunch and since we are driving them we will probably attend as well. Not sure how that will go.

My son returns very reluctantly from Germany today. I understand why he is so upset. He has no idea when he will be able to see his girlfriend again or when they can start their life together.

Otherwise, the week should be fairly mundane, hopefully.

I hope everyone has a good Monday.

So sorry to hear about your cat, Gill. Similar happened to my previous, Felix, but he seemed to forget how to eat and went down hill very quickly. We had him almost 17 years so we were grateful for all that time.
I also understand how your son feels. Never mind the girlfriend, I am pining for Germany itself! I don't know when I will get there again. It looks as though this Christmas is out but, as soon as it becomes safe again...
Of course, by that time, the UK won't have the same travel arrangements... Damned Brexit!! 😠

I hope you continue to improve Larry, Keep your chin up.

Would love to stop for coffee but it is pushing midnight here so I am heading off to bed.

Take care, Everyone.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/-the-nurses-.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Survivor
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 6:53:06 AM
Survivor

It's time for coffee and the brew is ready for any who are interested.

Today I need to get the weekly shopping done. Tons of things are needed especially the basics like bread and butter. It is going to be in the 80F/27C degrees out there today.

flower

Here is my latest work. My thanks for checking it out.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/-sharing-passionate-journeys-.aspx
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 8:58:51 AM
Mendalla

Getting warm here, too, this weekend. Low-mid twenties Celsius. May try to get some more maintenance done on the exterior given that weather. Hitting Costco later today to stock up on some stuff. In one of the last sessions of my conference right now. Yawn.

The Goddess Dances - Winner - Cheers to 10 Years Flash

The Berry Girl - Third place - Summer Word Bank
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, October 9, 2020 12:43:59 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi peeps
A beautiful day here
A large iced coffee sounds yummy

Not much going on here today just chilling
I do have fresh cookies today
*moving left over cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
In Big Bird we have butterscotch sugar cookies, apple cinnamon whippersnappers, blueberry crunch cookies and lemon ginger cookies
In Cookie Monster we have butterscotch sugar cookies, cheery cherry cookies, chocolate covered cherry cookies and peanut butter and banana cookies
*giving the adorable mascots fresh water and treats *

Its so good to catch up with everyone's news.
Stay safe! hello2

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 7:24:01 AM
Survivor

The coffee is ready. I forgot to get sugar and bread yesterday so I had to make a quick trip out and back. Victor was riding along with me. Now we can relax and do our computer chores.

flower

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/micro-fiction/-sharing-passionate-journeys-.aspx
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 8:15:50 AM
Mendalla

Grass is cut and a pile of leaves got mulched in the process so don't have to rake for another week or two. Resting a bit before lunch. Might rain this aft so may do indoor chores. Contemplating my writing plans as the comp looms.

Tams
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 12:16:19 PM
Tams

Taking a lunch break at work, so I thought I would poke my head in here. hello2

I'm so excited for this upcoming comp! I have a couple written for the shorter word counts and I'm working on a piece for one of the bigger word counts. Inspiration comes one day and is gone the next. But, I'm hopeful that i can get it done in time. Cant wait to read what everyone else comes up with too!

Latte's all around, on me! flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2020 1:36:32 PM
DenimAngel

cheerleader hello1 Hi peeps
A beautiful day here.
A large iced coffee sounds yummy.
Not much going on today. I'm excited about the competition here I think it will be so much fun.

It's good to see everyone here today.
*peeks in the cookie jars *yay in good shape still.

Stay safe everyone!

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 9:48:45 AM
Survivor

The coffee was good this morning. We took a walk over to the bridge but it was so hot we could not go far. Victor is cooling off on the carpeted floor now. Time for my last cuppa java.

flower

Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 10:35:22 AM
Mendalla

My wife and I shopped together for the first time in quite a while. And then picked up takeout dim sum for lunch. Yummy. I'm counting that as my Thanksgiving dinner (Canadian Thanksgiving is tomorrow). To be honest, I'll take curried cuttlefish and stuffed steamed eggplant over turkey these days anyhow.

DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 2:53:16 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 Hi peeps
A beautiful day here. A large iced coffee sounds yummy in the tummy
I hope everyone is having a fantastic day
Got outside and it is so pretty

I do have cookies today
*moving the old cookies to the emergency cookie tins and putting fresh cookies in the cookie jars filling them to the tippy top *

In Big Bird we have pumpkin cookies, snickerdoodle, pineapple coconut cookies and chocolate chip cookies
In Cookie Monster we have chocolate chip cookies, chocolate butterscotch cookies,, cocoa snaps and ginger snaps

Stay safe everyone hello2

Mendalla
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 4:39:01 PM
Mendalla

I got out for a walk this afternoon. Lovely. Just warm enough to break a sweat but cool enough that I wasn't soaked like I am when I walk in summer.

* takes a pumpkin cookie *

elizabethblack
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:17:18 PM
elizabethblack

Mendalla wrote:
My wife and I shopped together for the first time in quite a while. And then picked up takeout dim sum for lunch. Yummy. I'm counting that as my Thanksgiving dinner (Canadian Thanksgiving is tomorrow). To be honest, I'll take curried cuttlefish and stuffed steamed eggplant over turkey these days anyhow.

Yum, that sounds like a perfect alternative to turkey - curried cuttlefish and stuffed steamed eggplant. Never having tasted cuttlefish, but know as your wife's creation it will be wonderful. The dim sum sounds so very good. I have to find a good Asian restaurant as I have been yearning for a treat.

Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

elizabethblack
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2020 5:49:44 PM
elizabethblack

Mendalla wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving. And who wouldn't take curried cuttlefish and stuff steamed eggplant over turkey. Oh, guess the answer is most Americans. Giggle. No, I know it is wonderful because your wife is a wonderful cook as you've told us. But dim sum was a good start for the holiday.

Survivor
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 7:17:27 AM
Survivor

It's time to get going on our 10th-year celebration. The coffee is ready for those who need it.

flower

Welshdreamer42
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 9:00:39 AM
Welshdreamer42

Survivor wrote:

It's time to get going on our 10th-year celebration. The coffee is ready for those who need it.

flower

I've started off gently, I've just submitted a 40 word poem flower

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

My competition stories:
Picture On My Wall
The Last Train
Fading
Letting Go
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 11:50:18 AM
Mendalla

Nice poem. Good kick off. And Tams wasn't far behind you so we have two up already in Ultra Short.

My first entry is coming along but it will likely be at the 2581 word level in Full Story so may take a while. It was actually going to be my Hallowe'en piece for this year but I figure it can be one of my entries, too.

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2020 2:13:52 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi peeps
A beautiful day here
A large sweet tea sounds yummy
I'm gathering ideas for competition story submissions
Not much else going on here today

Scott... happy Thanksgiving!
I have thanksgiving theme sugar cookies that are diabetic friendly
*moving old cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *

gillianleeza
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 12:16:11 AM
gillianleeza

It's nice to see entries for the competition coming in.

It was a very long weekend. We had a memorial service for my aunts who died. Unfortunately, the get-together afterward at a restaurant was moved inside because of the weather. Social distancing went out of the window. Not much you can do when your elderly relatives come up and hug you. Everyone did wear masks but had to take them off to eat. I'm not worried about myself but I am very concerned about family and friends who are in their eighties and have health issues. Hopefully, nothing will come of it.

My father handled things well and was very present, but when we got back home he asked when we were going to his sisters' funeral. Sigh.. I'm tired.

I hope everyone is having a good week.

Some of my stuff.
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/learning-to-fly.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/misery-loves-company.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/we-always-go-on.aspx
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/heart-flutters.aspx
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 5:57:54 AM
Survivor

Taking care of older relatives is such a demanding chore. And it's mostly heartbreaking. As it is now in my family there is only one elderly aunt left. She lives in Arkansas, hours away from me. Her 11 children are scattered around her down there. They are supposedly on the job.

It's good to hear that you are still doing okay, Gill. Please be careful with this Covid. You drop your guard momentarily and it can grab you.

The coffee is brewing now. Hot water is ready as well. Settle down and enjoy the day. The furnace just came on. It is chilly out there. Enjoy all of the entries beginning to pour in for the competition.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 4:31:57 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi everyone
A late drop in sorry.. The day got away from writing some contest entries and went to the library

Good to see everyone!
Taking care of elderly people is hard. I did it professionally for a very long time then my knee got messed up and I had to give it up.

*peeking in the cookie jars *still in good shape
Stay safe everyone!

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:06:03 AM
Rumple_deWriter

Seems like everybody is sleeping in today. But never fear, the Rumple-unit is here (after a short absence) and has the coffee cooking and the tea kettle kettling. The supply of Sarah's cookies is holding up and the roof ain't leaking so everything else must be okay. Later, y'all. Till then, keep on keeping on.

glasses8

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding[/url]

Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 9:51:29 AM
Mendalla

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Seems like everybody is sleeping in today.

Had to shuffle my vac around and go to work today. Interview for a position I have open. Might have someone.hello1

Things are livening up around here now that we're into the anniversary celebration. See Gypsy's thread where you can reminisce about your early days here. And, of course, the comp(s) are well underway, especially the Ultra Short which already has a nice list of entries. I am working on a Full Story (2581 words) so may be a bit of a latecomer to the event.

Tea with lunch sounds good, me thinks.

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2020 1:52:13 PM
DenimAngel

flower hi peeps
A beautiful day here. Went for a walk and saw BUNNIES!

I have fresh cookies today
*moving the left over cookies to the emergency cookie tins behind the counter and filling the cookie jars to the tippy top with fresh cookies *
In Big Bird we have butterscotch marshmallow bar cookies, butterscotch sugar cookies , oatmeal raisin cookies and pecan divines
In Cookie Monster we have butterscotch marshmallow bar cookies, butterscotch sugar cookies, ginger snaps and lemon softies

Stay safe everyone! grommit

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 7:02:50 AM
Survivor

Good morning, folks. How's everyone doing? The coffee is brewed and the water is hot.

It's very nice out today. Good walking weather.

I think there is a lot of energy for this ten-year celebration we are having. I can sense a lot of happiness. I sure hope it keeps up. I really hope the new members keep on adding to the energy along with all of the old-timers.

I need to get another story written today. I'm going to make the most of this celebration.

flower

gillianleeza
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 8:27:58 AM
gillianleeza

It is a beautiful day here, with a high of almost 80 expected. Tomorrow it will turn rainy and colder. I'll enjoy today with all the windows open bringing in the windy warm air.

Baked some blueberry scones, was going to make macarons but didn't have the energy for that process.

It is wonderful to see all the competition entries coming in.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Cheers.

Some of my stuff.
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:02:58 AM
Mendalla

Going through the ultra-shorts today while I let my Full Length Story stew for a bit. Meanwhile, I dashed off a poem that clocks in neatly at 40 words after some careful work so that will probably beat the full length story to press. Letting it stew a bit, too, while I look for a suitable cover image.

Bit of a grey day here with showers. Had a consultation with a dental surgeon who works out of my regular dentist's practice about getting an implant to fill the hole on my left side where a molar had to be yanked in the summer. Anyone here had to choose between an implant and a bridge? The implant seems better (if pricier) on paper, but the thought of having a titanium steel screw put into my jaw gives me the willies big time.

gillianleeza
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 10:47:06 AM
gillianleeza

Mendalla wrote:

Bit of a grey day here with showers. Had a consultation with a dental surgeon who works out of my regular dentist's practice about getting an implant to fill the hole on my left side where a molar had to be yanked in the summer. Anyone here had to choose between an implant and a bridge? The implant seems better (if pricier) on paper, but the thought of having a titanium steel screw put into my jaw gives me the willies big time.

I couldn't have a bridge done because the teeth on either side had their own issues. I was loath to have an implant done and it was not financially feasible at the time. After I had surgery on my jaw to remove a growth and lost two teeth my insurance covered a greater percentage of the cost of implants. The procedure was less painful than having the teeth pulled and had a quicker recovery time since they are only making a small incision. Waiting around for a few months until the bone is healed enough is the only downside. Your tongue keeps bothering the little cap that's there. It was worth it to me to have that side of my mouth completely functional again.

It's too nice out to be productive today and I can't shake the sadness that keeps washing over me. I think I'll go outside and bask in the warmth of the sun while I still can.

Some of my stuff.
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 1:19:38 PM
Mendalla

Thanks, Gill. My pull wasn't that painful because the f-ing tooth was already partway out. Sounds like your implants went well, though. Good to hear.

Got my first comp entry out. It's in Ultra Short, needless to say. Came to me in the last day or two and finally wrote it down. Took some tinkering to get the 40 words, but I finally nailed it.

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/-my-temple-.aspx

DenimAngel
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2020 2:50:37 PM
DenimAngel

hello1 hi everyone
A beautiful day here. A large iced coffee sounds yummy in the tummy
Can't get my butt in gear today.

*peeks in the cookie jars * still in good shape (Yay)

Sounds like everyone is doing well .. Other than dental work..
I'm working on a couple of things for the competition just need to get them tied up in bows.
Stay safe everyone.