Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Do you ever read short story anthologies? Options · View
Welshdreamer42
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 2:04:48 PM
Welshdreamer42

Do you ever read short story anthologies and if, so, what genre? I read a lot of short stories online but have only recently started buying them for my kindle. I tend to read horror shorts and some romance. Has anyone got any recommendations for short stories?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

My competition stories:
Picture On My Wall
The Last Train
Fading
Letting Go
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 2:11:38 PM
Mendalla

A lot, actually. I am very fond of short fiction. Even among novels, I often prefer shorter works to door stoppers (e.g. I think The Mist is better than a lot of Stephen King's monster tomes).

Genre-wise, I tend to s-f, horror, and fantasy, esp. the latter two.

If you're into fantasy and horror, try to get some Clark Ashton Smith. He mostly wrote for the pulps in the 20s through the 40s and was, IMHO, easily better than his better known friends H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. He was also a poet and artist (sculptor and painter) and it really shows in his prose.

My "Cheers to 10 Years" competition entries to date,

My Temple - A poem (40 words)
The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words)
Something - Short Horror (2581 words)
Welshdreamer42
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 8:54:13 AM
Welshdreamer42

Mendalla wrote:
A lot, actually. I am very fond of short fiction. Even among novels, I often prefer shorter works to door stoppers (e.g. I think The Mist is better than a lot of Stephen King's monster tomes).

Genre-wise, I tend to s-f, horror, and fantasy, esp. the latter two.

If you're into fantasy and horror, try to get some Clark Ashton Smith. He mostly wrote for the pulps in the 20s through the 40s and was, IMHO, easily better than his better known friends H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. He was also a poet and artist (sculptor and painter) and it really shows in his prose.

I’m going to have to read some Lovecraft, I think I’m missing out coffee

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul

My competition stories:
Picture On My Wall
The Last Train
Fading
Letting Go
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2020 10:30:13 AM
Mendalla

Welshdreamer42 wrote:

I’m going to have to read some Lovecraft, I think I’m missing out coffee

Do you want a list of the best ones to start with or a list of the ones to avoid? Horror at Red Hook is a no go for starters. Just be prepared going in for some racial ideas and attitudes that were archaic even in his time.

Best story to start, IMHO, is "The Colour Out of Space" (yes, in spite of being American, he used UK spellings). There was a movie version just a year or so ago starring Nicholas Cage and it is, in fact, one of the most filmed Lovecraft stories (four that I know of). But the original story is one of his best. Stands on its own (i.e. not part of the Cthulhu Mythos), very little of his bigotry, well written, and one of the seminal works of s-f horror.

My "Cheers to 10 Years" competition entries to date,

My Temple - A poem (40 words)
The Goddess Dances - Flash fantasy (873 words)
Something - Short Horror (2581 words)