Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 12:53:48 PM

Mendalla wrote:

By biscuits, they mean this:

And the gravy is sausage gravy, which is lighter in colour and has its own rather distinct flavour. Biscuits and gravy is one of the those things that I inevitably make a beeline for when I'm South of the border. Mercifully for my circulatory system, it is fairly rare up here.

* makes a camomile tea *

Biscuits and gravy don't exist this side of the pond, so far as I know. The picture you show looks like a scone to me but that would be even worse! Is it some kind of pastry... or dumpling, perhaps?

I'll just sit here with a strong black crema and scratch my head a little... dontknow

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 1:41:58 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Mendalla wrote:

By biscuits, they mean this:

And the gravy is sausage gravy, which is lighter in colour and has its own rather distinct flavour. Biscuits and gravy is one of the those things that I inevitably make a beeline for when I'm South of the border. Mercifully for my circulatory system, it is fairly rare up here.

* makes a camomile tea *

Biscuits and gravy don't exist this side of the pond, so far as I know. The picture you show looks like a scone to me but that would be even worse! Is it some kind of pastry... or dumpling, perhaps?

I'll just sit here with a strong black crema and scratch my head a little... dontknow

A biscuit is a flour-based baked food product. ... In North America, a biscuit is typically a soft, leavened quick bread, and is covered in the article Biscuit (bread).

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 2:09:26 PM

Thank you, Sara. I think I get it now. We have stew and dumplings here which, although complete different items, appear to be similar in principal. I am thinking that 'hardtack' from which your Biscuits are derived would be your equivalent to, but not the same as, our Military Ration oat biscuits which could be eaten dry or mixed with hot milk to form a kind of porridge.

More Coffee, please. hello2 icon_smile

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 3:38:50 PM

elizabethblack wrote:

Cynthia, I got a whole tin box full of Earl Grey from a friend and I don't drink anything but herbal teas. Trying to figure out who I can give it to without my friend finding out. Not a lot of people drink tea. My bestie friend from Scotland has never liked tea.

A delightful thing happened, I went out to dinner with husband for anniversary and we were shocked that two women at a nearby table paid for our dinner according to our server. We really only said happy anniversary to each other in a very quiet voice.....how nice. I think we have a "pay it forward".

Elizabeth, I completely understand your dilemma! Passing things on you don't eat/drink/use to others who will appreciate them can only be a good thing. But how to do that without offending the original giver? Not easy!

And how lovely! Such a nice gesture from those ladies. Hope you had a lovely meal and belated Happy Anniversary!

I'll have a lemon and ginger tea before bedtime here.
gypsy
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 5:52:45 AM

Elizabeth, if the tea is loose leaf, could you get filter tea bags, make up a bunch of them, and donate the tea to a food bank, if such exists where you live? Or donate the tin as is, to a food bank or a church group?

That is very lovely that two strangers paid for your anniversary dinner. The generosity and kind hearts of those who do such acts is wonderful.

As for me, after years, decades, of holding doors open, giving my seat on the bus or tram to people of a certain age or a pregnant woman, or woman with small children, well! A young woman offered her seat to me the other day, on a crowded tram. THAT is a first for me! I declined the offer, but thought it was very kind of her.

Thank you again to all who have asked about Himself, I can safely say that he is getting better although he needs to rest and take it easy, no going to the gym for example, before the end of the month. It isn't raining, so he can get outside and go for short walks, and the stairs no longer wind him. The doctor authorised him to get the flu shot in two weeks time, thank goodness, because the flu season hasn't hit yet, and he is still somewhat weak from the pneumonia, so he would be even more vulnerable.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 6:52:25 AM

Good day to all those still up and around. Never sure who is arising or who is going to bed. But, I've got the fresh coffee brewing and the tea kettle is ready.

It's so good to hear that Himself is doing quite well, Gypsy. For anyone else battling sickness or other ailments, get well soon.

Nothing on the burner for activities today. I might do some grocery shopping and then I might not. We'll see how the day progresses.

It's now 44F/7C degrees outside. Not terrible but colder than I prefer. Anyway, Victor was walked and is now taking his early morning snooze.

There should be some writing done today. I hope so.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
gillianleeza
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 10:33:55 AM

I'm not a coffee or tea drinker. Even on the coldest of winter days, I prefer an ice-cold drink.

I love biscuits with sausage and gravy. My husband is Canadian (Newfoundland) and he refers to biscuits as buns. Especially tea buns which are basically a biscuit with raisins.

Continuing to deal with home repairs, organizations and remodels. While cleaning out the attic discovered a leak in the roof and a squirrel. After I stopped screaming I managed to chase it out the window. Even though it was a second story drop the squirrel ran off and up a tree and proceeded to chatter at me. He's fine. Today we try to figure out the roof situation. Hopefully, it is just the ridge vent which looks like it was bent up, probably by an animal.

I know I am alone in enjoying the cold weather. I am more energetic in brisk weather.

I hope everyone is healthy or healing. I'll take a Coke to enjoy before I get back to work.

Cheers!
DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 11:10:45 AM

hello1 howdy folks
A large sweet tea pretty please
It's a quiet day so far.. Waiting on the landlord's husband to come install the new locking system on my front door.
*sititng out treats for the cute lovable little critters * *sitting out fresh baked cookies (chocolate chip and peanut butter and banana cookies) for the humans *
Gill yikes a squirrel .. At least he chattered at you so you know he was okay.
Hope everyone has a great day

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 4:40:52 AM

It's a beautiful day, more or less, all over the world or thereabouts.

How come, you say? Well, having your college football team break an eight game losing streak to Alabama with a 46 - 41 win on national Tv, and do it on the home field of the Tide, has had that effect on this old Tiger. :)

For those needing a kick-start, There's hot coffee and for the tea and/or coco crowd,boiling water.

Now if my Saints can only avoid being upset by Buz's Falcons...

glasses8 .

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:37:52 AM

It's 49F/9C degrees out there this morning.

Today is a rehearsal for the Nutcracker. Just learning a new dance for the party scene with other adults. After that, I will do some shopping on the way home.

We need to enjoy the weather today because tomorrow the high will not even get to the freezing point.

flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 7:15:05 AM

7 degrees of chilly drizzle here. Brr! I'm still trying to get moving after dancing too much last night! A swing dancing friend put on a charity bash in aid of a local suicide prevention charity. A very good cause.

There was a live band and an invasion of swing dancers and the raffle raised nearly £500. A great night all round!

Thanks for the coffee, Rumps and congrats on your team's success!

Enjoy your rehearsal, Larry!
DenimAngel
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 11:04:05 AM

hello1 Hi everyone
Larry sounds like a fun day planned... Stay warm
Cynthia sounds like all that dancing was for a very good cause
I'll have a large sweet tea as I enjoy the sunshine while it's still making an appearance.
*sitting out treats for the little adorable critters *
*sitting out treats for the humans too*
Happy Sunday folks

Survivor
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 6:41:05 AM

It was at 23F/-5C degrees when I took Victor out a little while ago. It was clear and cold. Now there is something falling from the sky. Wet and white. Not quite snow yet. We'll see what continues this morning.

The coffee is hot. I'm having some now.

Not looking forward to getting out anytime soon.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 7:19:39 AM

Larry, for some reason, your 'Challenge' story keeps telling me the validation key is inoperative. That's what it said yesterday afternoon and is now saying the same damn thing. I'm about to go to the mod forum to kick up a little dust. The file says Yas did the dastardly deed . Not sure why but since it was Yas, no doubt her motives were pure. I'll report back if and when I learn something.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 11:57:39 AM

Howdy folks
Sleepy start here then chores to be done.
A large sweet tea pretty please
*sitting out banana bread *
*sitting out treats for the critters*
Got a couple of things to do this afternoon .

Survivor
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 1:48:11 PM

Hi, all. I'm going to another rehearsal tonight. For the Short Play Festival. My play is only about 10 minutes long. I do have a good role. I'm pleased with that. I get to use my own clothes for the costume. I'll be playing an Executive at the entrance to heaven. It's called St Peter. The play can be funny if we play it right.

But the two performances will be this weekend, on Friday and Saturday nights. Not a lot of work because it is a staged reading. We will be holding scripts to read from while acting at the same time. I've done three other plays in this same manner and it's quite effective. The audiences really enjoy them.

I'm having tea now so I don't get much caffeine. I do have trouble sleeping now when I have too much coffee. Comes with my age I do believe.

flower

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 3:52:33 PM

Evening, all. Winter is not coming. It's here. At least where I am. Had to shovel for the first time on Friday, lost a lot of the snow on the weekend due to warmer weather, now we're getting it all back again. Supposed to stay just below 0 for a few days, too.

Something hot and tea-like is going in my mug, but I need to get some exercise first. I've been very on and off with my exercise routine recently, due to both physical and psychological reasons.

I like to write something a little eerie or spooky for Hallowe'en every year. "Haunting" is what I went for this year.

Lady In The Lake
gillianleeza
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 6:08:48 PM

It was 70 and sunny here today. Tomorrow rainy and cold. Thankfully got the roof and critter situation sorted out in time.

Apparently I am having Thanksgiving at my house again this year. No surprise there but this year's numbers will be much lower. Last year I think I had 20 or so people. Just ten of us this year, so far.

I'll have ginger ale and be curled up under a comfy blanket in the corner getting some reading done.

Cheers Everyone!
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 6:40:57 AM

Good morning all. It is now 14F/-10C degrees temperature outside. We've just finished our short jaunt out into it. Back quickly.

First cuppa java for the day. The coffee is hot for anyone interested. So is the water.

Nothing to take me far from home today.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 6:46:31 AM

Morning folks!
Morning Larry thanks for the coffee this morning
It's 28F here and I'm not even looking forward to going out in it. A very busy day ahead.
But it should be fun since I get to spend it with a good friend running errands and getting lunch.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:26:55 AM

Good coffee, Larry. Here's hoping you and Sara, along with Victor, stay warm. Sounds like y'all might need to bring in a few more canines cause this might be more than a 3 Dog Night heading towards us.

glasses8

gypsy
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:44:26 AM

No need for more canines here,
one is enough,
Take it out to run etc,
And ruff, ruff, ruff

Using a keyboard is hampered by a clumsily bandaged thumb,
The knife used to cut onions slipped, the cut was done,
No, I did not cut myself, as the question was put,
Fatigue and exhaustion were readily at hand
They combined to be efficient, and cripes,
The slice was done

Sadly...

Tis true.

Instead of bleedin' over all the bleedin' space,
There be a thick clumsy bandage, staunching the wound
Creating a think carapace
It doesn't hurt as much now
This is good, as we know
But geez, don't ask me to squeeze any lemons
That would hurt like a son of a bitch
And it totally messes with this bit of pathetic doggerel
Which ties back to the first line,

No extra canines or doggies, please
They'd make things even more inane,
We're fine as we are,
And now shall remain.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all so much for your applause and appreciation, no, it's too much.

Wait! Stop! Don't throw shoes and bricks, I SAID it was too much, all right already!

help

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

gypsy
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:47:20 AM

Addendum to previous post: this is the Inspirations place, take previous in that vein.

Thank you very much, good night to all, mind the cutting edge of knives and onions.

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 12:08:04 PM

What fun you find in your tragedy, Gypsy. Poor lady. You rest and recuperate in the corner with a good book and some beverage, whatever will please. Mind you, no blood drops on the pages. flower

gypsy
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:03:28 AM

Thanks, Larry, it is such a ridiculous and annoying domestic accident and fortunately not a serious one. It doesn't happen often, years since the last time, but it is always when I am tired or stressed, and cutting onions. I think the onions are a part of it, as they make my eyes water and hurt, and voilà! Concentration is disrupted, eyes are blurry, a slip of the knife and the tip of the right thumb is hurt. I keep a box of bandages in one of the kitchen drawers for emergencies such as this - not in the knife drawer, though!

Making fun of it helps ease the irritation of it happening.

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:27:30 AM

Virtually the same thing happens to me, perhaps twice a year. The last time was just about two weeks ago and I was slicing some rolls to make sandwiches. I cut open the tip of the thumb on my left hand (since I am right-handed). Irritating. It is just now healed.

It has warmed up a bit here since yesterday. It is now 28F/-2C degrees outside. I have to go out to get a CT Scan in an hour. The hospital is about 15 minutes away. I can't eat or drink anything until I get it done. Just water and the contrast agent they serve in a malt-like beverage. Tastes horrid.

I will have coffee ready for any that venture in today.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:29:26 AM

Morning, fellow carbon-based lifeforms. Gypsey, self-inflicted assault and battery with a kitchen knife is not an item in any cookbook I've ever encountered - jes' saying. ;)

Coffee's on and the kettle is kettling.

glasses8

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:27:09 AM

Howdy folks hello1
I had great fun yesterday even though I was super duper tired at the end of the day. The party was a huge success! Yay and clean up was quick and easy and I even got a little pinata to bring home and it's shaped like a llama.
A large sweet tea pretty please. Got a late start to my day so I haven't baked anything yet.
*sits treats out for Victor and Miss Purr and Miss Molly *
*sits out leftover cookies from yesterday *
Happy Wednesday!

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 1:00:51 PM

Finishing my last cuppa java for the day. From now on it will be tea. We have two nights of tech/dress rehearsal at the theater. Tonight and tomorrow night. Then two nights of performing. There will be six short plays. I have a part in one of them. Tonight will be the first chance to actually see what all of the plays are about.

With luck, the temperatures will be in the 50sF/10sC on Friday and Saturday. I hope we can get a crowd out with moderate temperatures like that.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:14:38 AM

Got a pot of coffee cooking and a kettle of hot water boiling. The rest is up to y'all.

A list of the latest writing contest winners has just been posted in the Site Announcement forum over on that other site. Meanwhile, the 'Rembrence' challenge Anna started has attracted a lot of quality stories. Check 'em out.

glasses8