Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Survivor
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 11:08:36 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Morning, Larry, and thanks for the coffee. Carl (Fuzzy) said he also had a Noah-type deluge so that storm must have been a big one.

How did the pup do? You've had more than your share of the wet and wild stuff. But it's been my experience that most dogs don't usually adjust to unexpected, loud noises.

(slurp) Me, I needed that.

glasses8

Carl and I live about forty-five minutes from each other in Kansas. We get virtually the same weather.

My Victor has never been frightened in storms or during the 4th of July celebrations. He pretty much ignores loud noises. If they are extra odd he will go on alert to make sure they are not monsters of some kind.

I'm having my last cuppa java for the day now. No more caffeine. But I will make another pot and have water hot just for any others dropping by. flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 1:42:24 PM

Well, friends, it's that time of year again. I am off on my hols for a couple of weeks.
Tomorrow we drive down to the south coast and chill for the evening and then, on Sunday we cross the Channel into France and on through Belgium until we reach our destination... Rheinland Pfalz!
I've never been to that part of Germany before so I am looking forward to it.

It looks like the last time I shall be travelling as a European because if, as seems inevitable, Johnson, our unelected leader, has his way and tears us out of the EU, travelling across there will become more difficult and more expensive. Big Big sigh... sad10

Maybe, when I return, Carl will have posted his Moon Challenge piece to eclipse Larry's most excellent offering? dontknow

Have fun, folks and think of me drinking excellent coffee every day! toast wave

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Survivor
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 4:41:01 PM

Hi, Anna. I see you are heading for Germany. My father's family has origins in Hoffenheim, a village in Rhein-Neckar-Kreis, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. My 7th great-grandfather, Johann Christopher Neu, was born there in 1683. His son, Georg went to the American colonies and died in Pennsylvania.

I hope you have a great time. flower

All I'm saying is you've never seen me crying and eating tacos at the same time.
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, August 30, 2019 5:50:10 PM

hello1 hi everyone
I'll have some tea to go along with my dinner
I have German roots but can't remember the name of the place they come from..

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 5:14:02 AM

Have a great trip, Anna! :) sounds exciting.

It was wild here overnight as a storm passed over us, but bright and breezy enough today for me to get my washing on the line!

Coffee would be perfect, please. ☕
fuzzy1954
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 5:16:07 AM

Hi Anna and Sara......

My mother was born in Kassel Germany and came to the USA with my grandparents in 1919 after the end of the conflict (WW1) and their love of the Kaiser. Guess they "knew" the pending troubles brewing in Germany. Moved to Detroit Michigan. The rest is a longer story lol.
Anna I am up to a huge 63 words (my mind is numb) far short of the requirements on the Moon challenge. Enjoy your Holiday Anna

Ice Tea always ready for you Sara ... tell us what was for dinner

Survivor
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 6:54:10 AM

Just finished brewing a pot of coffee. Now to let it cool for the first real sip.

The mornings are getting cooler but the days still get up into the warmer temperatures. We are in that close to the autumn transition period.

I got a message from a friend the other day. He is completing his degree in theatre arts and filmography. He's going to need me for a short film he will produce for his final project at the university. That will be fun. I did one other student project with him a couple of years ago.

There the coffee had cooled. Now to do the regular morning computer chores. flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Saturday, August 31, 2019 7:31:12 PM

fuzzy1954 wrote:
Hi Anna and Sara......

My mother was born in Kassel Germany and came to the USA with my grandparents in 1919 after the end of the conflict (WW1) and their love of the Kaiser. Guess they "knew" the pending troubles brewing in Germany. Moved to Detroit Michigan. The rest is a longer story lol.
Anna I am up to a huge 63 words (my mind is numb) far short of the requirements on the Moon challenge. Enjoy your Holiday Anna

Ice Tea always ready for you Sara ... tell us what was for dinner

I made hamburgers and French fries last night

Survivor
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 7:09:03 AM

The pot is hot and my first cuppa java is being sipped.

I was thinking of driving over to a lovely little out of the way park today. It would be pleasant to walk and let the pup off-leash for a while. When I've been there I've only seen one or two other folks around.

Writer's block. I hardly ever get it but for some reason, it's working on me the past couple of days. There's no rush, of course, but I like to see the finished product.

Later. flower

Survivor
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 7:38:16 AM

Good day. I'm ready for my second cup of coffee. Morning is dragging. I've got all the computer chores done.

Watching the hurricane closely in the Atlantic. I'm glad to know they seem to be prepared and as ready as they can be.

Have a great day, folks. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 12:36:40 PM

Two (im)pertinent questions for the Survivor.

Where is your current Stories Space location? I mean to say, English is challenging enough for me so forget about translating your new locale.

Where and/or when did you come up with the 'taco' mention in your sig line. Just FWIW and BTW and IMO, it's a keeper.

The folks at Chicken Soup have eight calls for submissions. Check it out on the 'Calls for Submissions' forum or go to the Chicken Soup web site.

Now to try that coffee.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

DenimAngel
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 3:38:48 PM

hello1
Hi people . I am having a sweet tea in my favorite mason jar shaped glass :)

Survivor
Posted: Monday, September 2, 2019 3:45:28 PM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Two (im)pertinent questions for the Survivor.

Where is your current Stories Space location? I mean to say, English is challenging enough for me so forget about translating your new locale.

Where and/or when did you come up with the 'taco' mention in your sig line. Just FWIW and BTW and IMO, it's a keeper.

The folks at Chicken Soup have eight calls for submissions. Check it out on the 'Calls for Submissions' forum or go to the Chicken Soup web site.

Now to try that coffee.

glasses8

Hey, Bill. My Stories Space location is in Spanish and means "under a cottonwood tree." On another site, I use the location "A copse of cottonwoods, Kansas."

The epigram on my signature line was found on Pinterest.com and I think I simply searched for "taco" there and found it as one of the entries.

Thanks for the heads up concerning submissions.

I'm busy cooking tacos for dinner right now. Carry on, all. flower

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 6:58:54 AM

The coffee is tasting rather good this morning. Nice.

Gypsy presented us with a Back To School Challenge this morning. Let's see what we can come up with for that one.

I'm presently working on a poem that I really want to get done. I'm going to get to that right now.

flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:07:17 AM

While thinking has never been my strong suit, I'm thinking Gypsy has done did good with her 'Back To School' challenge.

Please excuse my inadequately disguised chuckle. I'm now wondering what the Pingster will do with that topic. Who knows: Back to School and Caught Smoking in the Boys Room - Again, Back to Reform School, Back to the School of Hard Knocks or some such might be in our future? ;)

(slurp) Good coffee, Larry.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 9:16:32 AM

I'm late getting in here this morning. I was doing computer chores and catching up.

Still time for another cup of coffee.

The bed people will be here to take back the box for under the new mattress. Turned out it was all too high with both together. The mattress alone works fine on the bedstead by itself.

I'm happy to see a poem of mine is doing well. Just enough votes for it to get on the top list sometime in the future.

Have a happy day. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:26:36 PM

Afternoon, Larry. An end of day cup from a fresh pot sounds like a goodness to me. Ya wanna try some?

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:36:21 PM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Afternoon, Larry. An end of day cup from a fresh pot sounds like a goodness to me. Ya wanna try some?

glasses8

Sure, I'm using some of the hot water to brew some tea this late in the afternoon. Watching Master Chef on the boob tube right now.

flower

DenimAngel
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:52:21 PM

hello1 hi people
*giggles @ boob tube* too funny

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 6:48:36 AM

It's that time of the day again. The coffee is brewed. Waiting for it to cool a tad.

Ballet class today. I'll be heading over to the arts center in about an hour or so. My weekly fun.

Have a lovely day, all. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:49:55 AM

Greetings, to one and/or all.

Larry, hope the class went well.

The coffee pot may need a good cleaning, maybe even a sandblasting. I' might have taken on that challenge but there being no work order, I decided to just brew a fresh pot and hang around to find out what happens nex.

glasses8

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 1:22:52 PM

I've spent some time cleaning my coffee maker and I'm sure it will meet Bill's standards.

Anytime someone stops by there should be some coffee simmering. And the tea drinkers know how to make their tea easily enough with the hot water.

I've really not had any inspiration for stories in our two outstanding challenges. I had sort of an idea for the Moon challenge. I've not really thought about Back to School at all. It might actually be a bit easier since it needs fewer words to actually comply with the challenge rules.

We will see. Not a great hurry to write something that I am aware of. flower

Survivor
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 7:55:33 AM

Working on my second cup of coffee now. I've called the mattress store. They have my money so they are in no hurry to actually help me out here and pick up the unneeded box spring. Okay, I've been told they will "see if they can take care of that."

Ah, well. We all have small tribulations. It will pass. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 9:30:15 AM

Howdy, Larry. Coffee's downright drinkable. Keep up the good work. ;)

I'm still wrestling with what sort of story to try in the 'hback to school' challenge. Every thing from Humor and memoirs to horror and supernatural have possibilities. (worry, worry, fret, fret)

glasses8

DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 12:18:40 PM

Hi folks . I'm sipping some sweet tea while I wait to go to the book sale at the local library:)
Hope everyone is having a good day

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 3:53:08 AM

Good morning everyone! Thanks for the submissions' heads up, Bill!

I could do with a coffee, if there's any going?
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:29:06 AM

The coffee started brewing just a few minutes ago. It will be ready soon.

Today is the auditions for The Nutcracker: A Kansas Ballet. Late afternoon. Rehearsals begin in October.

I hope the day stays good. flower

And don't forget to wish ElizabethBlack a happy birthday in the Milestones forum. Bday1

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 6:53:05 AM

Tchaikovsky was from Kansas?dontknow drunken

Guess I'm back to life, back to reality. Vacation over, son settled in for third year after being a working stiff for the first time over the summer.

* puts on the kettle *

Anyone else for tea?

I like to write something a little eerie or spooky for Hallowe'en every year. "Haunting" is what I went for this year.

Lady In The Lake
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 7:17:00 AM

Mendalla wrote:
Tchaikovsky was from Kansas?dontknow drunken

The Nutcracker is performed by virtually every ballet company around the world in the Christmas season, I suppose. Here in our town a local director/actor/writer has modified the story so that it takes place in Kansas either right before the Civil War or during it, from perhaps 1859 - 1863. It has references to John Brown, all of the fighting during that time, and the characters are changed slightly to make them resemble types in Kansas. You will see sunflowers, grasshoppers, mice, so on and so on. It's great fun for the children, especially.

I'm heading out for some shopping now.

Later, all. flower

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 3:34:56 PM

Larry, who's the seedy character behind the counter whistling something that sounds vaguely like the old Rick Nelson 'Traveling Man' tune? Sure hope it's not that nosy inspector from the health department. ;)

glasses8