Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading at the moment? Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 12:01:14 PM

I read about 2/3 of World War Z back when it first came out. Not a huge fan of the carnivorous zombie genre but Brooks did a decent job of it. Forget why I didn't finish. Possibly life interrupted.

I've been dancing around books recently, but the one I am definitely going to finish is The Flame, Leonard Cohen's final collection. It includes poems, sketches, selections from his notebooks and some other bits and bobs. The book was planned before his death and Cohen had basically finished a lot of the work of selecting items and had even arranged the poetry section but died before it was finished so a pair of editors and his son Adam finished the work.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
julie_slink
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 3:15:21 PM

Mendalla wrote:
I read about 2/3 of World War Z back when it first came out. Not a huge fan of the carnivorous zombie genre but Brooks did a decent job of it. Forget why I didn't finish. Possibly life interrupted.

I've been dancing around books recently, but the one I am definitely going to finish is The Flame, Leonard Cohen's final collection. It includes poems, sketches, selections from his notebooks and some other bits and bobs. The book was planned before his death and Cohen had basically finished a lot of the work of selecting items and had even arranged the poetry section but died before it was finished so a pair of editors and his son Adam finished the work.

If you ever do return to it, consider checking out the audio book. Since there are so many characters, it's read by a really awesome cast: Nathan Fillion, Jeri Ryan, Mark Hamill, Simon Pegg, and more.
gypsy
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 5:46:20 AM

I just finished reading Milkman, by Anna Burns, which was awarded the Man Booker prize two weeks ago. It is an enthralling epic, and put me in mind of Homer's Iliad in many ways. It takes place in an unnamed city (which is actually Belfast), in Northern Ireland during the Troubles. The narrator is a young woman of eighteen, who navigates the complexities of life in that time and place, the complex rules of her community, and she also endures being stalked by the eponymous Milkman of the title. No-one is given a proper name, but instead the characters are named and delineated by their relationships to the narrator, or she to them. This gives rise to "first sister", "wee sisters", "longest childhood friend from elementray school", "maybe-boyfriend", and so on.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but then, what is? It is well worth reading, in my opinion.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

gypsy
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 1:21:54 AM

Re-reading Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier. It was such a long time ago that I read it, I can't recall the details as the story unfolds, so it's almost like reading for the first time.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:14:02 AM

Now starting to read God Is An Englishman by R. F. Delderfield. I read it years ago and just felt like getting engrossed in a thumping good story again. It's the most enjoyable novel about commerce in Britain in the mid 19th century. Sounds rather boring, I suppose. Anyway, I got pleasure out of it once upon a time. I will again, I'm sure.
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2018 6:38:09 PM

I'm about halfway through 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' by Eric Idel of 'Monty Python's Flying Circus, fame. It's sorta his version of a memoir/autobio and is LOL funny in many places. Idel is the 'reader' on the audio version which is, therefore, highly recommended.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 7:30:39 AM

After watching Castlevania on Netflix and a discussion with DamonX of the other place, I am re-reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's in my top 10, probably top 5, novels of all time and I haven't read it through in probably a decade or more. Nice to re-engage with an old friend (even if he does have fangs and wants to suck my blood) and noticing some little character details that I had forgotten over the years. It's a much better, more nuanced piece of fiction than someone only familiar with the various media adaptations might realize. Not to diss those. There are very few Dracula adaptations that I don't like to at least some degree.

Castlevania, by the way, has very little to do with Stoker's novel, though its portrayal of Count Dracula seems more informed by the novel than some straight-up adaptations. It is, however, an excellent piece of horror/dark fantasy, surprising given that it's a videogame adaptation, which are usually terrible.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
gillianleeza
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2018 3:22:55 PM

Mendalla wrote:
After watching Castlevania on Netflix and a discussion with DamonX of the other place, I am re-reading Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's in my top 10, probably top 5, novels of all time and I haven't read it through in probably a decade or more. Nice to re-engage with an old friend (even if he does have fangs and wants to suck my blood) and noticing some little character details that I had forgotten over the years. It's a much better, more nuanced piece of fiction than someone only familiar with the various media adaptations might realize. Not to diss those. There are very few Dracula adaptations that I don't like to at least some degree.

Castlevania, by the way, has very little to do with Stoker's novel, though its portrayal of Count Dracula seems more informed by the novel than some straight-up adaptations. It is, however, an excellent piece of horror/dark fantasy, surprising given that it's a videogame adaptation, which are usually terrible.

I had not realized that they made a movie of Castlevania. I only knew it at a video game from my kids. I will check it out.

I reread Dracula periodically too. It is one of my all-time favorite books. Because of that, I have watched most of the adaptions made. I recently rewatched the movie with Gary Oldman.

I am reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I have read all of his books but could never get into the Dark Tower series. I'm giving it another go and have just finished the first.

I enjoyed it so I am on to the next.
gypsy
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 5:50:18 AM

I just finished reading every post in this thread. The range of reading material is great!

Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 7:39:23 AM

gillianleeza wrote:

I had not realized that they made a movie of Castlevania. I only knew it at a video game from my kids. I will check it out.

Series, actually. 4 episode first season and 8 episode second season. I'm halfway through the latter.

gillianleeza wrote:
I recently rewatched the movie with Gary Oldman.

Been thinking about that as well. Netflix Canada has it up right now. I remember being blown away by it in the theatre back when it came out and watched it a couple times since. It diverges wildly from Stoker on a couple points but is very faithful on some others (Dracula's changing apparent age, for instance).

gillianleeza wrote:

I am reading The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I have read all of his books but could never get into the Dark Tower series. I'm giving it another go and have just finished the first.

I loved the early novels but fizzled out about halfway through. The completion of the series happened when I was a new parent and very busy with life in general so I never finished Wizard and Glass (fourth book).

Featured Story:

Other works:
Obituarius
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2018 10:19:34 AM

The Taking of K-129.
rolandlytle
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2019 12:29:35 PM

reading myth adventure books. they are very funny.

You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
philliptennyson
Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:09:36 AM

Currently, I'm reading The History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell. A great book. It starts from the Ancient times and covers every major era of our history. Also, he explains complicated things, so you can understand them easily.
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 11:12:23 AM

About to plunge into God Can't by Thomas Jay Oord for a book study group on another forum. It's about the problem of evil and how viewing God differently can resolve it.

Featured Story:

Other works:
DenimAngel
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2019 11:53:34 AM

Reading. Raspberry Danish Murder by Joanne Fluke. It's a fun cozy murder mystery that has recipes tucked in it here and there for fun desserts . it's #22 in a series of 24 books ... Books 23 &24 just came out the last couple months and my library doesn't have them yet.. It's a great series based in a small Minnesota town and the main character owns a bakery/coffee shop and always find mischief and mysteries

gillianleeza
Posted: Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:30:37 PM

I'm re-reading Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman ahead of binge-watching the new series on Amazon.