Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 11:52:54 AM

*Kicks back with a cup of green tea.*

It's Black Friday. Anyone buy anything cool? I'm not much of a shopper and Boxing Day tends to be as big or bigger here in the Great White North anyhow. I see Lake Street Dive, my current favorite band, dropped a new EP for Record Store Day (but also put the tracks out on the usual online suspects). May get that or at least check it out on streaming.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 11:54:46 AM

gypsy wrote:

Ah yes, this explains that.

Good luck with it all

Progress, though a lot of it was redoing a scene that wasn't hanging together. 2500ish words done so this won't be short. Starting to wonder if it might even go multiple parts. Still feels more like it belongs here right now, though there is sexual tension between the characters so it could yet tilt the other way.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
rune
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 3:56:14 PM

Mendalla wrote:
rune wrote:

Yes dontknow

Interesting. Your body must metabolize it differently from most. dontknow

I don't drink coffee myself. I'm a tea drinker through and through in case you haven't noticed already. My tea du jour is Blueberry Jam from David's Tea. Black tea with blueberries and cranberries. Yummy.

I've been writing but I'm not sure about where to take the story. I could do it as a straight romance or I could 'sex it up'. Of course, that decision will then determine which site gets it. It's an old idea that I'm trying out for the umpteenth time (in the past, it was definitely headed for 'sex it up') so we'll see if it makes it this time.

Good morning everyone from my side of the planet hello2

The smell of coffee relaxes me.

That would be fun evil4 sexup the story.

Have a wonderful weekend to allhello2

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

Ballerina & Meg's Sonnet a collaboration with LarryFNigh
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
Survivor
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 7:41:22 AM

Watching the weather map online and a wall of snow is moving right at us. The snow is supposed to start falling at 9:45. It is 9:40 right now. This will get interesting.

I'll have to start the day with a cuppa java. Yep, that's the ticket.

Cheers.

Ping
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 9:58:22 AM

Good day all.

Coffee. Cream & Sugar. Please.

Started putting up Christmas lights yesterday. More to do today. Nope. Not a CFL fan, so Grey Cup watching on my to-do list.
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2018 10:58:25 AM

Spent the afternoon watching Lewis Hamilton take his final victory of the season. Very much relieved that Nico Hülkenberg escaped unscathed from his awful crash.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 3:49:44 AM

Morning all! A grey and chilly Monday here so a cup of Earl Grey would go down very nicely. ☕
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 6:42:25 AM

Ditto on the grey and chilly. Rain to boot. And I've got a headache, which may or may not be related to the effing weather.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Survivor
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 7:28:06 AM

Good morning, Cynthia and Scott.

They're cleaning up after the snowstorm. Blizzard conditions all day yesterday. Winds blowing the snow around last night.

Our neighborhood got less than 2 inches so no cleanup from the maintenance crew we hire.

I'll be going out to put down some deicer on the sidewalks after I have my cuppa java.

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 8:00:51 AM

Survivor wrote:

They're cleaning up after the snowstorm. Blizzard conditions all day yesterday. Winds blowing the snow around last night.

Our neighborhood got less than 2 inches so no cleanup from the maintenance crew we hire.

I'll be going out to put down some deicer on the sidewalks after I have my cuppa java.

We are supposed to get some snow, mainly just flurries with a risk of squalls, over the next 2-3 days but nothing like that.

Featured Story:

Other works:
verbal
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 10:46:18 AM

I've not been in here before, though I do see a couple familiar faces. :) A cup of coffee please.
Mendalla
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 1:25:16 PM

Hi, verbal. Welcome to Inspirations. Lots of good coffee to choose from here (emphasis on GOOD coffeeicon_biggrin ).

* puts on the kettle and finds some green tea *

Featured Story:

Other works:
hayley
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 1:39:33 PM

Mendalla wrote:
Hi, verbal. Welcome to Inspirations. Lots of good coffee to choose from here (emphasis on GOOD coffeeicon_biggrin ).

* puts on the kettle and finds some green tea *

hello2

... this looks interesting

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 1:47:48 PM

This looks somewhat more interesting. kekekegay

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
hayley
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 1:52:15 PM

Feeling sad I won't be home for Christmas... second year in a row... but somehow I'll get a Chrissy Tree.. somehow ...

STRONG Coffee required... triple shot! [my eyes light up at four .. worse than seeing a 'Sale' sign in a shop window help ]
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 2:03:04 PM

Feeling sad too. I will be home for Chrissy! crybaby
Especially as I will actually have to come home for it! sad10

hayley
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 2:08:29 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
This looks somewhat more interesting. kekekegay

hello2

Way more interesting!

OMG! Do you think peeps think I'm promoting Harney's teas????? Nooooo way .. I think they are the worst teas on the planet... which may be harsh since I have only tried their English Breakfast, which I didn't finish! I might try their Black Russian but only after I have tried their Harlem Brown. Secretly I wonder how they get away with that name in this self righteous pc age. Shhh .. fascinating name though.

I have a conspiracy theory about Harney's teas.. should I share?

There is something worse than Harney's Breakfast tea though .... Robert Timms .. roasting coffee for over 60years... and still haven't a clue! I couldn't finish that either... yuck... haven't ever tasted dish water (is that the right name?).. but it seeems a suitable comparison.
hayley
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 2:16:22 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Feeling sad too. I will be home for Chrissy! crybaby
Especially as I will actually have to come home for it! sad10

Awwwwwwwwwww .. that is really sad that that you don't want to be home for Chrissy.
New York is awesome at Chrissy. You should come visit. We can starlight ice skate at the Rockefeller ... they have an Igloo! But not this year angry7

At least I'm out of Paris now and away from the riots and stuff. That makes me soooo angry.
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 2:32:10 PM

I'm not sad to be with my family but would rather stay in Bavaria. thumbright kekekegay

hayley
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2018 9:15:36 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
I'm not sad to be with my family but would rather stay in Bavaria. thumbright kekekegay

hello2

Best Chrissy Dinner Shhh

gypsy
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 12:32:01 AM

Overcast, cold, windy here in my part of the world today, and I'm stuck at home, waiting for a parcel to be delivered. "Delivery by the end of the day" - yes, hurray, but that still means I need to be at home. Maybe I'll get some writing done... or book

Oh well, never mind, mid-morning coffee is coming up soon - strong, single shot espresso - and for the tea drinkers, I have an excellent, very delicate black tea, the Assam Mangalam. Myself, it will be my mid-afternoon tea today but will happily prepare some now for anyone who is interested.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:04:02 AM

Wintery day here. Have to drive to Toronto (a couple hours) this evening and it doesn't look pleasant, though better than it initially looked yesterday.

Drinking David's Blueberry Jam, black tea flavoured with blueberry, black currant, and elderberry.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:06:28 AM

hayley wrote:

OMG! Do you think peeps think I'm promoting Harney's teas????? Nooooo way .. I think they are the worst teas on the planet...

To be honest, I'd never heard of them until you mentioned them. Must be a UK/European thing. For loose teas here, it's mostly specialty shops like David's and Teavana or else Asian stuff, like Chinese greens and oolongs, sold in Chinese/Asian groceries.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 7:10:07 AM

Good morning Gypsy and Scott.

Still snow on the ground. The temps stay low enough that it won't melt, except the little pathways we tramp out for the pup.

My first cuppa java is brewing now.

Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 8:34:22 AM

Good morning, Larry. Kind of soggy here but supposed to chill out and turn snowy later.

My current writing project (a contemporary romance-drama) has reached 4700 words with no end in sight. And that's all SS-friendly so no detailed descriptions of naughtiness. It's all plot and character, basically. I am kind of at the line where I need to decide where to take it, though. The climax (of the story) seems close and that's where it moves into other territory if it is going to.

But that brings me to another thought. How long will this site really tolerate? I know the limit here is technically the same as the other site I write for (10K words), most of what I see posted is fairly short, 2K or less. Even the chapters of Anna's novel run around 3-4K words. Night of the Wind, my last full story, was 4800 words and that seems long among recent stories here. I am starting to think I might want to split this new story if I go too much longer and still keep it SS-friendly. Not for rules but just for readership. Any thoughts?

Featured Story:

Other works:
Survivor
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 9:52:22 AM

Mendalla wrote:
Good morning, Larry. Kind of soggy here but supposed to chill out and turn snowy later.

My current writing project (a contemporary romance-drama) has reached 4700 words with no end in sight. And that's all SS-friendly so no detailed descriptions of naughtiness. It's all plot and character, basically. I am kind of at the line where I need to decide where to take it, though. The climax (of the story) seems close and that's where it moves into other territory if it is going to.

But that brings me to another thought. How long will this site really tolerate? I know the limit here is technically the same as the other site I write for (10K words), most of what I see posted is fairly short, 2K or less. Even the chapters of Anna's novel run around 3-4K words. Night of the Wind, my last full story, was 4800 words and that seems long among recent stories here. I am starting to think I might want to split this new story if I go too much longer and still keep it SS-friendly. Not for rules but just for readership. Any thoughts?

To be honest I haven't a clue what will be tolerated by the readers here. My longest piece was over 8,000 words and it won an RR but it has only had around 600 views from over a year ago. I had another piece just over 5,000 words this year and it's had only 266 views. Personally I stay away from reading things over 5,000 words myself. I generally prefer reading shorter pieces now. My attention span gets shorter as I age.

Having my third cuppa java now. Finally really awake.

magnificent1rascal
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:25:16 AM

Mendalla wrote:

Speaking for myself, about 6,000 words is the upper end of what I'm comfortable reading in this format. Longer stories are best viewed in ebook format, in my opinion.

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
hayley
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:34:10 AM

Mendalla wrote:
hayley wrote:

OMG! Do you think peeps think I'm promoting Harney's teas????? Nooooo way .. I think they are the worst teas on the planet...

To be honest, I'd never heard of them until you mentioned them. Must be a UK/European thing. For loose teas here, it's mostly specialty shops like David's and Teavana or else Asian stuff, like Chinese greens and oolongs, sold in Chinese/Asian groceries.

Nooo sweet man... Harney's are a US Company founded around 1983 as a startup company in Millerton NY. I had never heard of them until I saw a selection of their teas in a boutique tea shop in Chelsea (London). Then I came across them on my travels, in Australia and again in New Zealand. In Auckland, Kiwiland's biggest city, there is actually a cafe that promotes their brand above all others. Sadly it always seeems to be empty laughing8 (Sorry if that sounds mean). It is the Menu tea in Auckland's oldest and poshest store, which is where I tried it for the first and only time. The startup bit intrigued me which is why I got interested. Over 300 tea blends seems an awful lot to bring to the market.

David's I am not familiar with. I know they are listed on NASDAQ, fairly recent listing, but I have never tasted their product or ever seen it on a shelf. Will look out for it though and will taste and tell :D NASDAQ info lists them as Canadian out of Montreal. You obviously like them heaps so that's both good and patriotic at once.

Asian stores are passionate about their green teas aren't they? Especially if the shopkeeper is from Taiwan. Awesome greens from there.

gypsy
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 10:56:52 AM

Mendalla wrote:

As a reader, considering the interface here, which is a continous scroll, I would say maximum 5000 words.

You are a good writer and also format your work correctly and that makes a difference as well.

That is not always the case, so I will stop now.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

LauraDanielle
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:02:11 PM

Hey everyone, I'm back on this side after an extended absence due to my forgetting about this side. I take it this is where the cool kids hang out?