Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Inspirations, the Stories Space Coffee House Options · View
Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:48:07 AM

I'll take an Earl as well. Another dusting of white powder. It's look more and more wintry around here all the time. Local ski hill is rubbing their hands with glee. They had a record winter last year and are hoping for another.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
Survivor
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 6:57:11 AM

Good morning (afternoon to you, Cynthia). Just now getting my first cuppa java going.

rune
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:16:09 AM

Good day everyone. Hope you all will have a wonderful day to smile hello2

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe BLue SaNDS -StoriesSpace
Ballerina & Meg's Sonnet a collaboration with LarryFNigh
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM
Midnight Whistle Of A Train To Dien a collaboration with Adagio
My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
fuzzy1954
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:20:15 PM

hello All, cup of cappuccino please

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:41:43 AM

Morning, all! Earl Grey tea for me, please.

Another wild windy day out there. Definitely November gale season!
Wordpusher715
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:30:12 AM

Good morning, all

My fav tea is Market Spice Cinnamon Orange Tea.

Killer thick tea in foil pouch. If left too long while exposed to air, the oil causes it to fuse together into a mass. The aroma makes you salivate. It's as thick as brewed coffee. It has a caffeine rush.

This is not your mother's tea.

This tea is not intended for gentle people. It makes them ungentle.

Yes, it comes in pouch but that is simply a protective measure lest it fall on something and melt its way to the center of the earth.

I live, I love, I perform, and I lament.
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 5:40:48 AM

Wordpusher715 wrote:
Good morning, all

My fav tea is Market Spice Cinnamon Orange Tea.

Now on my radar to try sometime. Thanks.

As the Starks say in a certain novel/TV series, "Winter is coming". Periods of snow starting later today. Should make for a "fun" drive home tonight.

Wife is going to a retirement party for the guy who heads IT in her university faculty (she's a prof). He's been doing that gig for over thirty years now. I know because he was in that role when I went to the school 30 years ago this fall. I even went to his Hallowe'en bash.

Sigh. Time flies. I'm almost twenty years where I am.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
Survivor
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:09:00 PM

Send me the cyber cuppa java, please, as I receive my infusion. Turning into a lovely day. May get up to 50F here.

flower

Just posted my latest story here yesterday. Now, today, I notice that I wrote it in second person point of view and present tense. That is cool. Not done often.

rr

magnificent1rascal
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 3:11:37 PM

Survivor wrote:
Just posted my latest story here yesterday. Now, today, I notice that I wrote it in second person point of view and present tense. That is cool. Not done often.

rr

I noticed the second person and intended to comment. It’s great to see you and other writers doing unique things, trying out different styles, etc. Stories Space is a good place to spread your wings, as it were. Well done!

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 3:21:22 AM

Morning, everyone! Earl Grey tea here, please!
Ping
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 7:24:48 AM

Good Morning!

It’s a chilly one this morning in Pingville. We got some rain during the day, then the temperature dropped to-15C overnight, turning the roads and sidewalks to ice. Then, Mother Nature has, and still is, giving us a healthy dusting of several centimetres of the White, fluffy stuff. Personally, this weather makes me very happy. I love snow.

A lovely hot chocolate with whip cream would be a welcomed treat. If you’re serving, I’m ordering, please.

Now, music. Amelie is in my top three best movies and soundtracks. If this cafe has a French flair, I’d like to suggest someone play the soundtrack to that wonderfully, quirky love story.

Would asking for a movie night in the coffee house be going too far? I’m unsure what the capacity is, or what the fire regulations are, but there’s nothing like a good movie to stop the incessant march of time for a little bit.

Have a great day everyone!
Ping
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 7:27:07 AM

curvygalore wrote:

A-lo Miss Moneypenny. Ping, James Ping. coffee I can’t explain it. Sometimes, it just happens.
Survivor
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:31:11 AM

Just enjoying the first real cuppa java today. The lawn service are in the neighborhood shutting down the sprinkler systems for the season. Winter can't be far behind.

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 9:25:47 AM

* Looks out window *

Winter's hanging out here right now. Want me to send it your way? icon_biggrin

Weekend looms. Got a company party tomorrow night, otherwise should be a fairly quiet one.

* Pours tea and slumps on to a couch *

Featured Story:

Other works:
hayley
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 11:17:37 AM

Mendalla wrote:
hayley wrote:

Queens Earl Grey (Darjeeling spoilt with bergamont.. sorry couldn't resist)

Blue Star Earl Grey (Black tea and flower petals.. according to the label)

French Earl Grey (a must here ... black tea, fruit, flower petals)

Earl Grey Organic (for really fussy friends.. label just says black tea, bergamot)

I hope you enjoy French pastries? They are always fresh as it's impossible for them to last a whole day with me around Shhh

Never seen Earl made with Darjeeling before. Usually it's Ceylonese black. Neat. Both my tea shops use organic in their Earl Greys so that's nothing special. Actually, I just got back from David's Tea with the following haul:

Cream of Earl Grey (mentioned above)
Blueberry Jam (black tea with blueberries and black currants)
David's Breakfast Blend (just a nice blend of black teas from India and Ceylon)

And French pastries are the best part of French cuisine in my books.glasses8

Don't forget Tiffin !!! ..awesome...

hayley
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 11:21:18 AM

On my travels I like to take lots of pics... especially if they are funny ... or in this case ... HILARIOUS!!!

This is the mild Herbal(ing) Tea ...

and this is for the brave herbalists ... omg!

rune
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 12:27:16 PM

Good day everyone, dropping by for coffee and head back to neverland

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe BLue SaNDS -StoriesSpace
Ballerina & Meg's Sonnet a collaboration with LarryFNigh
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM
Midnight Whistle Of A Train To Dien a collaboration with Adagio
My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
Survivor
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 12:48:14 PM

Okay, silly girl. We'll have coffee so you can get back to sleep. drunken

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 12:49:57 PM

hayley wrote:
On my travels I like to take lots of pics... especially if they are funny ... or in this case ... HILARIOUS!!!

Ah, Chinglish. Being married to someone from that country, I fully understand why they mangle English the way they do. The languages are just that different and they are applying Chinese habits to English. Still, you'd think a company selling stuff in the West could hire someone, even a well-educated Chinese person who was fluent in English, to review and fix stuff.

Featured Story:

Other works:
gypsy
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:51:19 AM

Mendalla wrote:

Ah, Chinglish. Being married to someone from that country, I fully understand why they mangle English the way they do. The languages are just that different and they are applying Chinese habits to English. Still, you'd think a company selling stuff in the West could hire someone, even a well-educated Chinese person who was fluent in English, to review and fix stuff.

Another problem is that often people use an online translating service - hello google, I'm looking at you - to do the deed. Such a thing can be useful to help understand a short text for personal edification, but is rarely reliable if it is being put to use in a text or a restaurant menu or a business brochure or... well, I could go on but won't. A good friend of mine is a professional translator and interpreter, English-Italian, and Italian-English, and she finds it extremely frustrating and annoying. Frustrating, because she sees some terrible mistranslations, and annoying, because she makes her living by doing good translations and wishes people would give her the work. For the most part, with restaurant menus for example, she rolls her eyes and ignores the mistakes, but on at least one occasion she pointed out to the management that the mistranslation of an item of food from Italian to English had resulted in something that was so wrong it had the potential to be offensive to English speakers.

Then there are graduate students who use google translate to "help" with writing their theses in English. Write first in your mother tongue, push it through the translator, and watch your thesis supervisor age rapidly while he or she tries to deal with the situation diplomatically.

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 5:44:29 AM

Ping wrote:
curvygalore wrote:

A-lo Miss Moneypenny. Ping, James Ping. coffee I can’t explain it. Sometimes, it just happens.

James Ping? Seriously?? 😂😂 more like Brooke Bond if we're talking about tea!

Cooking for friends tonight so I need a coffee to get me going! ☕
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 6:22:21 AM

curvygalore wrote:

Cooking for friends tonight so I need a coffee to get me going! ☕

Whereas I'm eating at a catered company event tonight. They even asked me to say grace.glasses8

Featured Story:

Other works:
Survivor
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 8:04:30 AM

Hi, Gypsy. Good day, Cynthia. Morning, Scott. I'm finishing up my first cuppa java of the day.

Just finished giving a friend a response concerning the teaching of gender stereotypes in a class on "Civics."

Tonight is an evening of short plays. A good friend directed one of them. Good fun, one hopes.

Cheers, all.

flower

AriesDragon
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 11:55:21 AM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Here is some music.

Haha... I just got home from a concert and this was playing when I turned my car off.
hayley
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:05:36 PM

Mendalla wrote:
hayley wrote:

Nooooo! hello2 Wasn't the English I was posting about but the tea itself. More particularly what it claims to do. It's from Thailand so probably does exactly what it promises, Thai goods tend to. I use brown sugar from Thailand at home although it's not always in stock. I love wandering through Asian supermarkets/stores, it's like a whole different world. They eat so differently don't they? I was going to say their food/diet is very healthy but then I remembered the tea and it's therapeutic intentions! Shhh laughing8

You are right about the translations. Even major companies from Asia make the odd faux pas in their literature. That's bad for their image really. But it happens with/in every language. Bet we make some howlers translating into Chinese.

I have a really good friend in Sao Paulo who speaks Portuguese (of course), German and Czech. Her English is not great so she freely translates her German... this is fun ... so if she were to ask you "What are you doing this evening?" .. she takes 'was machst du heute Abend?' and comes out with "What do you make today in the middle of the night?" .
She is awesomely popular.
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:06:33 PM

It's a great song. icon_smile
How about this to relax to:

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:12:38 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
It's a great song. icon_smile
How about this to relax to:

From the movie, Legend, right? Or something like that? God, I love Ferry's voice.

I've got a thread on my other board celebrating Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot. He turns 80 today and is doing a charity gig in his hometown, Orillia, Ontario, to celebrate.

From 1969, one of my favorite Lightfoot hits:

Featured Story:

Other works:
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:19:21 PM

Gordon Lightfoot is 80?!?!

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:20:04 PM

Mendalla wrote:

From the movie, Legend, right? Or something like that? God, I love Ferry's voice.

I've got a thread on my other board celebrating Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot. He turns 80 today and is doing a charity gig in his hometown, Orillia, Ontario, to celebrate.

Yes, Legend. He is a superb artist, I agree. I am listening to 'Boys and Girls' right now on a disc which is rotating at 33&1/3 RPM. icon_smile

I also like Gordon Lightfoot. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is a fantastic song.

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
hayley
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:24:35 PM

curvygalore wrote:

hello2

Here is some "good 'ole" upstate NY Earl Gey to start your day. I have no idea if it's any good but since white tea is the very best of teas, and since this is blended using white tea, guess it's a pass?.

Hope you like to take your tea 'tiffin' style. I do Shhh