Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Let's Do the Time Warp Again - Writing Challenge Options · View
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2018 6:18:51 PM

Submit an original story, poem or song that includes time as a major element — time slipping away, time crawling along, a mysterious time shift, time running out — anything to do with time as a reality or concept.

Guidelines for this challenge

- Method of entry: Submit using the Submit Story link on the homepage
- Number of entries per person: Unlimited
- Categories: Any category
- Tags: Please include 'time warp challenge' in your tags
- Word count: Up to 5,000 words
- Deadline: Anytime!
- Prizes: The satisfaction of knowing you completed a challenge. You’ll also receive a badge. No ranking or monetary prizes are offered, however.

Have fun!

———

Time Warp Challenge pieces:

Hourglass by Rune
The Revolutions Began by Survivor
Just in Time by Dreamcatcher
The Ghosts of Time by Wordpusher715
Our Time Will Not Run Out by Survivor
Time and Tide by AnnaMayZing
Aegean Adventure by henrietta_fielding
November 21st at 6:58 am by Entangled_Fate
Out of Time by Colors_of_the_Wind

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
rune
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2018 7:24:44 PM

this could be fun

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

Ballerina & Meg's Sonnet a collaboration with LarryFNigh
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
Mendalla
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:43:11 AM

Hmmmmm. Love time travel stories (old school Dr. Who fan for starters). Let's see what we can do here.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
gypsy
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 1:04:51 AM

And now I can't get that song out of my mind. clown

I haven't come up with anything new for this challenge, but do have at least one that would fit the bill.

Ephemeral III

Now, how's that for a time warp, a story about time, written five years before the challenge was created. happy8

The subject who is truly loyal to the Chief Magistrate will neither advise nor submit to arbitrary measures. Junius

magnificent1rascal
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 2:09:51 PM

gypsy wrote:
And now I can't get that song out of my mind. clown

I haven't come up with anything new for this challenge, but do have at least one that would fit the bill.

Ephemeral III

Now, how's that for a time warp, a story about time, written five years before the challenge was created. happy8

Haha, it is a catchy tune all right! geek

Your Ephemeral series is great, and III certainly has the 'time warp' spirit. icon_smile

Thanks for sharing!

Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Welshdreamer42
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 3:39:49 PM

I posted a story fairly recently that fits the bill

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/science-fiction/eight-minutes-thirtytwo-seconds.aspx

Does this count?

I know, I should get scribbling and write a new one... Think

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
(Hitchhiker's Guide, #5)
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 4:39:32 PM

Welshdreamer42 wrote:
I posted a story fairly recently that fits the bill

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/science-fiction/eight-minutes-thirtytwo-seconds.aspx

Does this count?

I know, I should get scribbling and write a new one... Think

It won't count toward this challenge, but thanks for sharing! And don't worry, we'll have more challenges to come.

Connect with Maggie

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:29:16 AM

Oh this is great!

I could maybe put in a bit of my YA novel that is all about time shifts. Must get my computer fixed so I can access my files! idea1
Mendalla
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:46:29 AM

curvygalore wrote:
Oh this is great!

I could maybe put in a bit of my YA novel that is all about time shifts. Must get my computer fixed so I can access my files! idea1

If you lived close by, I could probably help with that. Unless it's a Mac. Then I'd be over with my axe.evil5

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:56:52 PM

This is just the kind of thing I was trying to encourage.
A great idea and now I have begun a new story for this challenge.
Watch out for it back in the future! kekekegay

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:25:33 PM

Mendalla wrote:
curvygalore wrote:
Oh this is great!

If you lived close by, I could probably help with that. Unless it's a Mac. Then I'd be over with my axe.evil5

Hehe! I bet you're glad I live the other side of the pond! ;) but that is incredibly kind of you. Thank you for the offer!

I have an ancient Dell so it's not deserving of an axe... yet! evil5
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:45:52 PM

curvygalore wrote:

Dell builds decent boxes. And can be upgraded and repaired by anyone familiar with the basics of computer hardware, unlike a certain other brand of computer that I mentioned earlier.angry7

Featured Story:

Other works:
Mendalla
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:47:42 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
This is just the kind of thing I was trying to encourage.
A great idea and now I have begun a new story for this challenge.
Watch out for it back in the future! kekekegay

I'd like to but I don't really have any time-related stories in my current head-list of things to write. We'll see what comes up, though. I'm working on another writing project at the moment anyway so maybe by the time it's done.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Dreamcatcher
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:08:14 PM

henrietta_fielding
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 2:17:20 PM

Mendalla wrote:
curvygalore wrote:

Dell builds decent boxes. And can be upgraded and repaired by anyone familiar with the basics of computer hardware, unlike a certain other brand of computer that I mentioned earlier.angry7

That's reassuring. :) a pal of mine said it would take someone who knows what they are doing about 20 minutes to fix. But that person is not me! idea1
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 1:43:54 PM

Mendalla wrote:

I'd like to but I don't really have any time-related stories in my current head-list of things to write. We'll see what comes up, though. I'm working on another writing project at the moment anyway so maybe by the time it's done.

That's not a problem. When, sometime in the future, you do have the time and inspiration, write it, take your time editing it and then bring it back to the present and submit it. Simples! kekekegay

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
Mendalla
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 5:43:57 PM

AnnaMayZing wrote:

That's not a problem. When, sometime in the future, you do have the time and inspiration, write it, take your time editing it and then bring it back to the present and submit it. Simples! kekekegay

Yeah, but owing to timey-wimey stuff, I'd probably land in an alternate 2018 where SS only accepts stories written in pig Latin or something.confused5

Featured Story:

Other works:
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2018 6:00:06 PM

Mendalla wrote:
AnnaMayZing wrote:

Yeah, but owing to timey-wimey stuff, I'd probably land in an alternate 2018 where SS only accepts stories written in pig Latin or something.confused5

Oh, didn’t you hear? Beginning next week, all stories have to be in Klingon. geek

But seriously, this is an ongoing challenge. Whenever you’re inspired, it will be here.

Connect with Maggie

Dreamcatcher
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:41:48 AM

magnificent1rascal wrote:
Mendalla wrote:
AnnaMayZing wrote:

Oh, didn’t you hear? Beginning next week, all stories have to be in Klingon. geek

But seriously, this is an ongoing challenge. Whenever you’re inspired, it will be here.

Does this mean I can come back in a hundred years and post my entry? No doubt, LarryF and Adagio will have broken the 10,000 posted story barrier by then.

magnificent1rascal
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 9:11:45 PM

Dreamcatcher wrote:
magnificent1rascal wrote:

Does this mean I can come back in a hundred years and post my entry? No doubt, LarryF and Adagio will have broken the 10,000 posted story barrier by then.

It does, and they will have! laughing9

Connect with Maggie

Dreamcatcher
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 11:51:13 AM

Question... Can we post more than once in a Challenge?

Also, since there is no actual winner of a Challenge, how about a "Good Sport" badge for members who make an effort to support SS in generating enthusiasm, ie. Challenges...

Wordpusher715
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:21:30 PM

I enjoy contests. Something is missing without a struggle, without a score, without a goal, without an objective, without a definition of achievement and definitely without an award or reward or recognition. I intend to write a timely piece (roll eyes here, please) before the end of the month. I'd like it if recognition is attached to a challenge in the future (or the past or the present), anywhen would be nice.

I live, I love, I perform, and I lament.
magnificent1rascal
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:33:55 PM

Dreamcatcher wrote:
Question... Can we post more than once in a Challenge?

Also, since there is no actual winner of a Challenge, how about a "Good Sport" badge for members who make an effort to support SS in generating enthusiasm, ie. Challenges...

Each challenge may have different guidelines, but for this one post as many pieces as you’d like.

Anyone who successfully completes a challenge is a winner! Adding a challenge badge is among the badge update requests, but Gav is busy at his paying job so it might be a couple of weeks before he can get to it.

Connect with Maggie

AnnaMayZing
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 1:14:13 PM

I personally think that the challenge is a good idea. It doesn't really need badges but if that's what people want then so be it.
I see it as a chance to write something interesting, an imagination prompt, if you like. Something to get those literary juices flowing.
There is an excellent prize that all those who contribute will receive.
"Is there? What?" I hear you ask.
The satisfaction of knowing that there are people who will thoroughly enjoy the effort you have made to write something for their reading pleasure.

Furthermore, there can be no complaints about the judges decisions! argue

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 6:47:16 AM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
It doesn't really need badges but if that's what people want then so be it.

This. I don't write for badges but I see no problem with them existing. In fact, I had suggested the idea of a challenge badge to Maggie in a PM not long after she started this thread. Not sure if it was that suggestion or otherwise that got the ball rolling.

Featured Story:

Other works:
Survivor
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 10:21:15 AM

Here's just a simple comment. Maggie made the challenge. I was one of those that accepted it. For the pure pleasure of writing. I didn't even consider that there was a badge involved. I love badges. But I surely don't write to get them in the first place. Writing is its own reward.

Dreamcatcher
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 10:55:01 AM

This isn't about being a badge whore or a Quid Pro Quo reward system. It's about trying to generate enthusiasm so other members who may not be inclined to write as much will participate more. There is a cluster of us who write fairly constantly. Me, not as much as I should. It's the same cast of characters.

So far all I've heard is "writing is its own reward" and "badges." Does anybody have any other ideas? Dinner at Maggie's? Tickets to one of Larry's dance extravaganzas? Chaffing wheat with Carl? A boat ride with Gillian?

Mendalla
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:01:12 AM

Dreamcatcher wrote:
There is a cluster of us who write fairly constantly.

And there's those who wish they could write more.confused1 Life doesn't really leave me a lot of time for this hobby (which, lets face it, is what writing is for me at the moment).

Featured Story:

Other works:
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 11:17:36 AM

Dreamcatcher wrote:

So far all I've heard is "writing is its own reward" and "badges." Does anybody have any other ideas? Dinner at Maggie's? Tickets to one of Larry's dance extravaganzas? Chaffing wheat with Carl? A boat ride with Gillian?

I like the boating idea! Hi Gillian. hello2
But yes, I agree. The focus should be on attracting more writers and readers. the rest can come later.

Survivor
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:47:23 AM

AnnaMayZing wrote:
Dreamcatcher wrote:

I like the boating idea! Hi Gillian. hello2
But yes, I agree. The focus should be on attracting more writers and readers. the rest can come later.

It occurs to me that if we want new people to be attracted to our little challenges they need to know about them. Some sort of announcement has to appear on the home page where casual visitors would possibly see it. I'm not sure how much non-members, or those who are members but seldom visit, will look into the forum and see site announcements.