Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

What are you reading at the moment? Options · View
AnnaMayZing
Posted: Monday, May 22, 2017 1:07:32 PM

I am reading an article entitled, 'Luftkrieg Uber Bayern'.
Let me qualify that. I am trying to read it.
I am, very slowly, learning German so thought I would give it a go without translating it.
It is one page but taking as long as a novel! d'oh!

The third part of this epic journey starts here... https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-long-road-home-chapter-1.aspx

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana
gillianleeza
Posted: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:58:47 PM

Rereading one of my favorite books.

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Sunday, May 28, 2017 8:31:11 PM

Gil wrote: Rereading one of my favorite books.

Uh, huh. And that book would be? ;)

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

Schemers Scheme -- young women talking about young men

OF WAR, AND PEACE, AND MARY BETH: my contest winner, honest

For Whom the Good Tolls an 'RR' and it's short, no kidding

Regnadkcin
Posted: Friday, July 7, 2017 2:56:00 PM

I am reading two books:

My Favorite Thing is Monsters

Killers of the Flower Moon - The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI

Afterwards I plan on re-reading The Divine Comedy and You Know Me Al

My wanderer series
http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/morning-air.aspx
http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/open-road.aspx
http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/plains.aspx
http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/fishing-boat.aspx

http://www.storiesspace.com/stories/memoirs/obituary.aspx A recomended read, believe it or not

Mendalla
Posted: Friday, July 7, 2017 5:50:32 PM

gillianleeza wrote:

Gil has such good taste in books. Haven't re-read that one in a while but I have that and a collection of Jackson's short stories in a place of honour on my bookshelf.

I've been re-reading some old favorites, too: H. P. Lovecraft. Currently nearing the end of his novella "The Whisperer in Darkness". Think the X-Files transplanted to about a century ago. Monstrous aliens lurking in dark corners of Vermont, humans conspiring with them, alien abductions, the whole 9 yards. Of course, it was also written about 60 years before the X-Files came along. Lovecraft was a seminal writer in modern horror.

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
gillianleeza
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:18:54 AM

seeker4 wrote:
gillianleeza wrote:

Gil has such good taste in books. Haven't re-read that one in a while but I have that and a collection of Jackson's short stories in a place of honour on my bookshelf.

I've been re-reading some old favorites, too: H. P. Lovecraft. Currently nearing the end of his novella "The Whisperer in Darkness". Think the X-Files transplanted to about a century ago. Monstrous aliens lurking in dark corners of Vermont, humans conspiring with them, alien abductions, the whole 9 yards. Of course, it was also written about 60 years before the X-Files came along. Lovecraft was a seminal writer in modern horror.

I am a huge fan a Lovecraft. My taste in reading does veer towards the macabre and supernatural and horror. My parents were concerned about my taste in reading, lol.

After seeing your post I pulled out my copy of some of Lovecraft's short stories. I had not read him in awhile. I have also been reading some of Stephen Kings son Joe Hills books. I was also interested to see that King has written a book with his other son Owen King that will be out in December. It will be interesting to see how that collaboration comes together.
gillianleeza
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 5:20:44 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Gil wrote: Rereading one of my favorite books.

Uh, huh. And that book would be? ;)

glasses8

I'm sorry I hadn't seen this before now. The book I was rereading was Shirley Jackson's The Haunting Hill House.
Mendalla
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 6:17:12 AM

gillianleeza wrote:

I am a huge fan a Lovecraft. My taste in reading does veer towards the macabre and supernatural and horror. My parents were concerned about my taste in reading, lol.

After seeing your post I pulled out my copy of some of Lovecraft's short stories. I had not read him in awhile. I have also been reading some of Stephen Kings son Joe Hills books. I was also interested to see that King has written a book with his other son Owen King that will be out in December. It will be interesting to see how that collaboration comes together.

I started reading Lovecraft in high school and he became a springboard for a general fondness for early twentieth century horror and fantasy (William Hope Hodgson, M. R. James, Clark Ashton Smith, Algernon Blackwood, and Arthur Machen are other faves). Finished Whisperer last night. May re-read the Dunwich Horror next. I'm supposed to be reading Charlie Jane Anders' All the Birds in the Sky (winner of multiple major awards in sf&f) but don't seem to be in the mood for reading new stuff right now.

Stephen's actually collaborated with Joe a couple times, too, though I think those ones are more pulp thriller than horror IIRC. Haven't read Joe yet but he's been on my radar since I first heard about him around the time he "came out" as being Joseph King. Writing doesn't seem to pass down generations the way music or acting seem to so it is interesting that the Kings seem to be bucking that trend. Only his daughter Naomi isn't a "writer" in the conventional sense. She's a Unitarian Universalist minister who does most of her ministry online due to a disability. And even she writes lovely meditations and opening and closing words for each day that get posted on FB and other social media (where I follow her).

Featured Story:
Night of the Wind - (Fantasy) A mysterious traveller, a strange storm, a chaotic night for a small town.

Other works:
Spooky People - (Poetry) A playful verse for Hallowe'en.
On Seeing the Light (Re)born - (Poetry) A reflection on seeing the sun rise while on vacation
Voice of Ice - (Horror) A powerful winter storm leads a professor to a disturbing discovery
Fewniks
Posted: Saturday, July 8, 2017 11:54:59 PM

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

"Life is What you make of it "
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2017 12:35:30 PM

Prompted by the current tv series I'm reading the Poldark novels by Winston Graham.

I'd forgotten how well-written they are and I'm finding them such an enjoyable read; a perfect balance of great characters and relevant historical detail. He really brings late-eighteenth century Cornwall vividly to life.
DannyX
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 1:19:27 PM

curvygalore wrote:
Prompted by the current tv series I'm reading the Poldark novels by Winston Graham.

I'd forgotten how well-written they are and I'm finding them such an enjoyable read; a perfect balance of great characters and relevant historical detail. He really brings late-eighteenth century Cornwall vividly to life.

Well, fancy meeting you here!

I'm currently reading a book called Broke Around Britain, about a guy who hitches with his dog from Lands End to Scotland without spending a penny on food or accommodation. It's really good.

D x
gillianleeza
Posted: Monday, September 18, 2017 7:05:17 PM

Currently rereading some short stories by one of my favorite authors, Richard Matheson

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 10:25:46 AM

Hi ya, Gil. I've just started a non-fiction new release, the audio version of, "Al Franken, Giant of the Senate" by Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn). The long-time writer/actor on Saturday Night Live makes a gifted writer and great reader. I suppose the print version is okay, but I can recommend the audio edition.

glasses8

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords.[/ - ROBERT HEINLEIN

elizabethblack
Posted: Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:20:30 PM

gillianleeza wrote:
Currently rereading some short stories by one of my favorite authors, Richard Matheson

Oh, I love his work. How great to find another that likes him!

Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Friday, September 29, 2017 9:55:42 AM

I've got my 'Way Back' machine going. It was William Faulkner's birthday a while back, so I've been re-re-reading, "The Hamlet". And since today is the birthday of, Cervantes, I've just cued up, "Don Quixte" for my next re-read.

glasses8

TheSensualLady
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:16:10 PM

Private London by James Patterson
Rumple_deWriter
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2018 9:31:46 PM

Lady, James Patterson is one remarkable writer. BTW, his next release will be a fictional political thriller he co-authored with, Bill Clinton.

Just finished re-reading, "The Last Picture Show" by Larry McMurtry. Left me wondering why I hadn't done so much sooner. Highly recommended.

glasses8

TheSensualLady
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 11:47:57 AM

Rumple_deWriter wrote:
Lady, James Patterson is one remarkable writer. BTW, his next release will be a fictional political thriller he co-authored with, Bill Clinton.

Just finished re-reading, "The Last Picture Show" by Larry McMurtry. Left me wondering why I hadn't done so much sooner. Highly recommended.

glasses8

I can't wait to read the new book.

Private India: City On Fire by James Patterson
DenimAngel
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 1:18:07 PM

Picked up my well worm copy of the Diary of Anne Frank til I can get to the library later this weekcrybaby

gillianleeza
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 6:20:00 PM

Rereading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Love the book but hated the movie adaptation.

NymphWriter
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 6:28:42 PM

Over my summer break I finally read and finished the 6 book series of The Lying Game. While it's a young adult series, it's pretty good and much better than the failed TV series.

elizabethblack
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 7:07:30 PM

Friends pass books back and forth so today I finished one and am now reading:

Just starting and so far so good.......

rune
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 5:12:57 AM

Love & Misadventure by Lang Leav

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

Ballerina & Meg's Sonnet a collaboration with LarryFNigh
The Feast Of All Saints a collaboration with Meredith
Burnt Toast a collaboration with Fuzzy1954
The Autumn a collaboration with ChrisM

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
AriesDragon
Posted: Friday, August 17, 2018 6:43:30 AM

20 chickens for a saddle by Robyn Scott.. its great!

Welshdreamer42
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2018 9:06:52 AM

Jane Eyre. My daughter has got it as a set text for A level so I'm reading it with her. Funny, it's one of my favourite books but I'd forgotten how difficult it is to read - there're colons and semicolons galore and I'm having to google some of the words! I don't remember it being that hard when I read it as a child. (Think I had an abridged version) dontknow

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
(Hitchhiker's Guide, #5)
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:14:36 AM

CellarDoor wrote:
A few days ago I finished "Bright Shiny Morning" by James Frey and yesterday I made a last minute trip to the book store and picked up 2 new ones - "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and "The Lucky One" by Nicholas Sparks.
Anyone read any of these before? Any thoughts/critiques?

I read Water for Elephants a while back for book group and thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

I'm currently re-reading the Poldark books by Winston Graham. Just wonderful. History heaven!
henrietta_fielding
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 3:22:55 AM

Welshdreamer42 wrote:
Jane Eyre. My daughter has got it as a set text for A level so I'm reading it with her. Funny, it's one of my favourite books but I'd forgotten how difficult it is to read - there're colons and semicolons galore and I'm having to google some of the words! I don't remember it being that hard when I read it as a child. (Think I had an abridged version) dontknow

Yeah, I have to read it every couple of years for students. Just trudge through it!

Helen, if your daughter needs any notes or quotes as a help please just give me a shout!
verbal
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:29:02 AM

gillianleeza wrote:
Rereading "World War Z" by Max Brooks. Love the book but hated the movie adaptation.

LOVED this book. Loved that it was an oral history, so they were just telling the story. Yes, the movie was awful, and threw away everything good about the book.

About to finish Megan Abbot's Give Me Your Hand. Suburban noir. Excellent thriller about two women and a shared secret (or two).
Welshdreamer42
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 8:23:41 AM

curvygalore wrote:
Welshdreamer42 wrote:

Yeah, I have to read it every couple of years for students. Just trudge through it!

Helen, if your daughter needs any notes or quotes as a help please just give me a shout!

I'll take you up on that as soon as she starts analysing the text properly. Thank you thumbup

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
(Hitchhiker's Guide, #5)
julie_slink
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 1:35:19 AM

gillianleeza wrote:

verbal wrote:
LOVED this book. Loved that it was an oral history, so they were just telling the story. Yes, the movie was awful, and threw away everything good about the book.

About to finish Megan Abbot's Give Me Your Hand. Suburban noir. Excellent thriller about two women and a shared secret (or two).

I also loved this book. The scale of it is pretty incredible. I really liked how he showed the perspective from many different countries and that it covered so many facets of life that would be affected by a zombie outbreak.

I thought the movie was OK, maybe a 6/10. I just wish they would have called it anything else because it's not an adaptation of the book.

Apparently, they are making a sequel with David Fincher attached to direct. I'll believe it when I see a trailer, but that has the potential of being really cool. His movies are typically awesome.

I really wish HBO or Netflix would pick up the book rights and make a 10 episode miniseries that's a proper book adaptation.

I've never read Megan Abbot, but I like a good thriller. That's what I usually go to for airport or beach reading.

I just started Horns by Joe Hill. I really liked the movie, but I wish I had read the book first.

I might read Sharp Objects next, but I kinda want to re-read the Haunting of Hill House before I start the show.