Login

Daily Ecological Alternatives

last reply
16 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Are there ecological alternatives that you use in daily life? I mean things that are either non-polluting or not too harmful, such as cleaning products.

For instance, using white vinegar for cleaning windows (it works really well!), rather than an ammonia based product. White vinegar is also fanatstic for removing calcium build-up in electric kettles.

Bicarbonate of soda, baking soda, is another thing that is really good to use for many things, including as a shampoo. A few spoonfuls of it in a basin of warm water makes a fantastic foot bath that softens the skin and soothes hot feet. It is also excellent as a fire extinguisher, which makes it good to have on hand in the kitchen.

Those are just two items and a few of their uses.

It would be interesting to hear of other things!

And just to clarify, this is to share things that are positive, which people can put into practice, not to open a discussion or debate about things one might not want to change or give up.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
To save on wasting paper or plastic at the store you can bring your own bags. I've been doing that for decades. Just wash the cloth bags occasionally to keep them clean.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
We do the vinegar stuff too, even in the garden for pests. We don't burn firewood. We recycle paper, glass, metal, plastic, and food scraps. We donate to clean water and air organizations.
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Now, the one sacrifice we won't do is cars. I drive a 4-wheel drive pickup and she drives a 4-wheel drive SUV. Sue me.

Um, that wasn't asked about, lol

You've taken a wrong turn in that SUV my friend, this isn't the road-rage thread.
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Now, the one sacrifice we won't do is cars. I drive a 4-wheel drive pickup and she drives a 4-wheel drive SUV. Sue me.

You've taken a wrong turn in that SUV my friend, this isn't the road-rage thread.

<shifting into 4-wheel drive> Is an automobile not an ecological consideration? I could drive one of those Mattel solar-powered vehicles made from tinfoil and old soup cans.

Of course it is, but my intention with this thread is to find out what alternatives people are putting to use. In no way was I asking about what anyone was going to defend their use of, or having to be warned off about it.

Saying you took a wrong turn was my attempt to make light of something that I didn't see coming.

Perhaps if you or a moderator can close or delete this thread it would be for the best.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Dreamcatcher

<shifting into 4-wheel drive> Is an automobile not an ecological consideration? I could drive one of those Mattel solar-powered vehicles made from tinfoil and old soup cans.

Of course it is, but my intention with this thread is to find out what alternatives people are putting to use. In no way was I asking about what anyone was going to defend their use of, or having to be warned off about it.

Saying you took a wrong turn was my attempt to make light of something that I didn't see coming.

Perhaps if you or a moderator can close or delete this thread it would be for the best.

I think Larry has made a valid point and I certainly don't see any need for animosity. How about we leave the thread as it is and move on?

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
I don't like to replace things that can be repaired.
In the unfortunate scenario that something cannot be repaired then I scavenge as much as possible to make alternative use of, such as repairs to other things.
The remainder is recycled whenever possible.

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Dreamcatcher

Whoa! What just happened? I thought I was responding appropriately without any intention of offending anyone.

Your thread is a very timely and valid one. The members should be allowed to respond as you intended. I apologize for my shortcomings, my old friend.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
What happened to this thread? Is freedom is speech dead here, then?

Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
What happened to this thread? Is freedom is speech dead here, then?

The thread got tidied up at the request of the parties involved. Freedom of speech refers to government impeding a person’s rights, not to what is removed from a privately owned website.
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal
The thread got tidied up at the request of the parties involved. Freedom of speech refers to government impeding a person’s rights, not to what is removed from a privately owned website.

That is the most ridiculous remark I have heard yet! No wonder this site is losing its sparkle!

Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Survivor
To save on wasting paper or plastic at the store you can bring your own bags. I've been doing that for decades. Just wash the cloth bags occasionally to keep them clean.

On a related note, we use mainly reusable, washable containers for taking lunches to work.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

0 likes
Quote by Survivor

yes, thank you, Larry. I've been doing this for so long, I don't think of it as being note-worthy.
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
We do the vinegar stuff too, even in the garden for pests. We don't burn firewood. We recycle paper, glass, metal, plastic, and food scraps. We donate to clean water and air organizations.

How is the water supply where you are, Larry? I know you're in California, do you have restrictions, do you have to purify water for drinking and everyday use?
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
I don't like to replace things that can be repaired.
In the unfortunate scenario that something cannot be repaired then I scavenge as much as possible to make alternative use of, such as repairs to other things.
The remainder is recycled whenever possible.

I totally agree, and prefer to repair before replacing, and when getting rid of things that cannot be repaired, have them go to the recycling center.

Do you take into consideration the potential long-term viability of items that need to be replaced?
0 likes
Quote by Mendalla
Quote by Survivor

On a related note, we use mainly reusable, washable containers for taking lunches to work.

Yup, we do that as well. To my amazement, one litre, plastic ice-cream containers are incredibly sturdy, for putting left-overs in, whether it is for lunch or for freezing food. My husband microwaves them with his lunch in, at work and those things are resilient in an amazing way

What about keeping your own utensiles on hand, in case you buy something for lunch, and prefer not to use the plastic ones that are usually offered?
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by gypsy

Yup, we do that as well. To my amazement, one litre, plastic ice-cream containers are incredibly sturdy, for putting left-overs in, whether it is for lunch or for freezing food. My husband microwaves them with his lunch in, at work and those things are resilient in an amazing way

What about keeping your own utensiles on hand, in case you buy something for lunch, and prefer not to use the plastic ones that are usually offered?

My employer has a fully stocked kitchen including two cutlery drawers (in fact, the executive assistant just bought more cutlery today). No need to provide my own or use the takeout's plastic. They also provide a filtered water cooler so no need for bottled water.

Buy as much car as you need and no more. I could easily drive a full-sized sedan or SUV, but drive a Civic instead for day-to-day. We do have a compact crossover for when we need more space but there again, that's in place of the van or full-sized SUV that a lot of families around us buy. When I consider electric to be viable (I'm not sold on current electrics), I'll go that route.

A mighty warrior meets an unusual challenger. The Last Challenge of Jadek Prynn.

0 likes
Quote by DenimAngel
I take my own cloth bags to the grocery store and the nice thing if I forget and I'm at dollar General they have reusable bags (they are cute) for sale for $1 for small ones and $2 for the bigger ones . I use vinegar A lot to clean with (windows, sink after dishes& I mop with it).

The stores that have reusable bags for next to nothing are great, and it makes it so much easier when one has forgotten to take the bags.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Quote by Dreamcatcher

How is the water supply where you are, Larry? I know you're in California, do you have restrictions, do you have to purify water for drinking and everyday use?

We have actually passed the drought and now have so much water that they are opening dams. Such bullshit by the powers that be.

We did go to a low-water landscape with just a small vegetable garden in back. My wife puts a 5-gallon bucket in the tub with her to collect water for the garden. She also takes military-style showers turning the water off between washing and rinsing. We take our cars to recycled water car-washes. We also just installed a new dishwasher that can do an entire load with only 3 drops of water. Or so they would have you believe.

And... right at this moment, we are just entering into the largest storm in the last year.
Crazy old ape
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
She also takes military-style showers turning the water off between washing and rinsing.

That's military-style? Huh. I've never darkened the door of a barracks and I've done it that way forever.