Find your next favourite story now
Login

Announcing the Stories Space Dirty Martini 420 Contest!

last reply
43 replies
9.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
https://www.storiesspace.com/competitions/stories-space-dirty-martini-420.aspx

In our latest contest, we’re honoring Alan W. Jankowski, who used the handle Dirty Martini here. Alan was a longtime moderator at Stories Space, as well as a talented writer and friend to many. He passed away in March 2017. You don’t need to have known Alan in order to enter, but it would be a good idea to visit his profile page and read some of his work first.

https://www.storiesspace.com/dirtymartini

• No entry fee
• All entries must be new, original work
• One entry per person
• Limit 420 words
• Category must be Micro Fiction, Flash Fiction, Poetry or Songs
• Tags must include the word ‘whatever’
• Submission must include the number 420 in some form (time, date, distance, weight, temperature, length, or whatever) AND one item from EACH of the following lists:
1. Exakta 66 camera, Gibson Les Paul guitar, Albert King album
2. Penguin, potato, bee
3. A letter, a dirty martini, a neon sign

Submissions not meeting all requirements will be rejected. Before submitting an entry, please make sure that it has been thoroughly proofread and is the story you want to submit. Entries may not be edited after submission, or deleted and replaced with another entry.

Prizes:

In currency, a bit is 1/8 of a dollar, or 12.5 cents. As we have a limited budget (and to add a bit of whimsy), prize money for this contest will be calculated as bits.

Please note that only the first place entry is guaranteed an Editors’ Pick award. Second and third place are guaranteed a Recommended Read and will be considered for an Editors’ Pick. The remainder of the top 10 will be considered for both RR and EP awards but are guaranteed neither.

1st place: 420 bits ($52.50 USD), EP award, Competition Winner badge and Dirty Martini badge
2nd place: 210 bits ($26.25 USD), RR award, EP consideration, Competition Runner-up badge
3rd place: 140 bits ($17.50 USD), RR award, EP consideration, Competition Runner-up badge
Remaining top 10: 60 bits ($7.50 USD) each, RR and EP consideration, Competition Top 10 badge
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
Lurker
0 likes
This is SO amazing!!!

Thanks Maggie. I personally love the challenge of criteria like this. Now, to put my thinking cap on.

0 likes
I'm intrigued. I'll need to think a bit to connect those dots in a single piece.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Just got home from the final dress rehearsal of The Bridges of Madison County. Nice to be greeted here on our site with this wonderful competition. Thanks admins and mods for making it possible.
Lurker
0 likes
I decided to give it the go. Let's all tell someone to enter.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This looks exciting, I can't wait to read all the entries.

RuNe'S DooDLiNG iN THe SaNDS

My wandering crazy mind is just doodling in the sands ~ RuNe
0 likes

Great contest, I might actually get something written for this, and break through the writing dry spell I've been struggling with.

What is the closing date, or did I just not see it listed? (That is possible.)

Yup, I missed it, it is in the link to the comeptition page. The 8th of October.

WHAT? This is also a flash comp in terms of time?!?!?
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by Ping
This is SO amazing!!!

Thanks Maggie. I personally love the challenge of criteria like this. Now, to put my thinking cap on.

hmmmm 420 so a blunt or a water pipe with your "thinking cap"

Please read my latest poem to honour all who have served

Bitch Called Nam

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/bitch-called-nam

Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thanks for hosting this - you woke me up!
0 likes
Quote by magnificent1rascal

Btw, I'm trying to figure out why it shows you as having -4 forum posts. How is that even possible?

My second sense tells me that it is sort of a Twilight Zone sort of thing, or whatever.

just sayin'...
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Thanks for doing this Maggie. I like the way both sites have memorialized an icon. Alan was a unique individual and it will be interesting to see how he is presented by his many friends. I will do my best to honor him knowing that it isn't about winning a competition, but rather, being a part of this tribute.
Lurker
0 likes
I did not know the man, but I entered the comp because I wish to see the blue as a corner stone for writers. I can only offer my integrity and hope people write. Let's do it!
0 likes
Hey everyone. I'm Julie. I came over from red and thought I would stop by and introduce myself. Smutty storytelling is secondary to my desire to become a better writer and share my ideas with like-minded people.

Many of my ideas are better suited to live here and after I heard about this contest in Rump's bar, I thought it would serve as a nice opportunity to make my way over.

I did not know Alan since I haven't been around either site very long. I did read a few of his stories and checked out his page. I love how it's been immortalized in his memory. He had a very unique and clear voice and I really enjoyed the handful of pieces I read. Birthday Party, his EP, was particularly fantastic and incredibly emotional.

It's awesome that you all decided on such a cool tribute in his memory. I'm honored to be a part of it in my own small way. I was unsure how to create something that was very specific, or special to him, so I came up with an idea that was a little bit different. I hope my entry is suitable and honors him while tying into the heart of the theme.

Given the amount of time and effort he put in as a mod here, I like to think that he would be pleased to see a few new faces and writers around here.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I like the idea.

Just a couple of queries though.

1) Isn't the camera's name spelled Exakta? Not Exacta.

If it is then...

2) Which model 66 are you referring to. There were several different styles of 66's made over the years.
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by meredith
I like the idea.

Just a couple of queries though.

1) Isn't the camera's name spelled Exakta? Not Exacta.

If it is then...

2) Which model 66 are you referring to. There were several different styles of 66's made over the years.

Thanks, Meredith!

1. You’re right. I’ll fix the spelling.

2. It doesn’t matter. Any model you choose!
Connect with Maggie

Like my Facebook fan pages: Maggie Rascal and M.P. WitwerFriend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/maggierascalFollow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Maggie1Rascal
0 likes
Question - what's the significance of 420? Am I missing something obvious?
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by julie_slink
Hey everyone. I'm Julie. I came over from red and thought I would stop by and introduce myself. Smutty storytelling is secondary to my desire to become a better writer and share my ideas with like-minded people.

Many of my ideas are better suited to live here and after I heard about this contest in Rump's bar, I thought it would serve as a nice opportunity to make my way over.

I did not know Alan since I haven't been around either site very long. I did read a few of his stories and checked out his page. I love how it's been immortalized in his memory. He had a very unique and clear voice and I really enjoyed the handful of pieces I read. Birthday Party, his EP, was particularly fantastic and incredibly emotional.

It's awesome that you all decided on such a cool tribute in his memory. I'm honored to be a part of it in my own small way. I was unsure how to create something that was very specific, or special to him, so I came up with an idea that was a little bit different. I hope my entry is suitable and honors him while tying into the heart of the theme.

Given the amount of time and effort he put in as a mod here, I like to think that he would be pleased to see a few new faces and writers around here.

Welcome to the blue Julie... and thank you for joining in our humble attempt to honor a mentor and friend. You will find some friendly and helpful members here. Many of us have come over from the red. I hope you find this place a home and look forward to more of your work.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by julie_slink

Welcome. The Blue is awesome and I think you will fit in like a comfortable chair.
0 likes
Quote by Dreamcatcher
Welcome to the blue Julie... and thank you for joining in our humble attempt to honor a mentor and friend. You will find some friendly and helpful members here. Many of us have come over from the red. I hope you find this place a home and look forward to more of your work.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for checking out my story. I'm just happy to be a part of this tribute in my own small way. I've really enjoyed this very unique contest and learning about Alan. Seeing the way he has touched so many people here has been a unique and uplifting experience.

To be honest, I'm completely unsure how I will end up splitting my time between here and red. I like the smaller, more familial vibes I've gotten here so far, to be sure. I also enjoy that it's completely centered around writing and reading, which are where my interests lie, as opposed to the many other activities on red.

I'm kinda torn because I think that in some ways, I definitely fit in better here. On the other hand, I do really enjoy writing erotic things, but the purely erotic is rarely the impetus for me to write something. I will likely end up doing both, as so many others have done. It just seems like it would be more rewarding to spend the majority of time and effort writing, reading, and befriending in one community as opposed to two (although there is quite of bit of overlap, it seems).

A few people have expressed to me that they wish traffic here would pick up, and I'm hoping to be a part of some resurgent activity here. It seems like one of those cyclical things where blue is less popular because there is less traffic, but those who could boost traffic don't typically post much here because it's less popular. I very well may be making incorrect assumptions, but that's my impression.

Not trying to be blasé or nonchalant about it, but I tend to think out loud in blunt rambles and like sharing my thoughts on things. Those who aren't fans just tend to ignore me or correct me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well, I'm stepping out of my comfort zone and dusting off my laptop and submitted my entry. The idea of this one was fun and I hope I honored Alan's memory.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42

The significance in this case is that Stories Space recently marked its 420th week of existence. However, that fact was a mere spark and shouldn’t influence anyone’s creative direction. Any interpretation is welcome.
Connect with Maggie

0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42

The significance in this case is that Stories Space recently marked its 420th week of existence. However, that fact was a mere spark and shouldn’t influence anyone’s creative direction. Any interpretation is welcome.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by Welshdreamer42
Quote by Welshdreamer42

Nor should anyone take away any significance from the fact that I, personally, have 420 stories and poems at the moment on our site. Merely one of life's fascinating coincidences.
Divine Rapscallion
0 likes
Quote by LarryFNigh
Quote by Welshdreamer42
Quote by Welshdreamer42

Nor should anyone take away any significance from the fact that I, personally, have 420 stories and poems at the moment on our site. Merely one of life's fascinating coincidences.

Larry, that sounds like a great hook for working the number 420 into your entry!
Connect with Maggie

Lurker
0 likes
I hope the comp. brings us together, as a writing family among friends.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by LarryFNigh
Quote by Welshdreamer42
Quote by Welshdreamer42

I believe the competition is to honour our friend Dirty Martini even in (tongue in cheek) comment of your 420 stories/poems here LarryF.

Please read my latest poem to honour all who have served

Bitch Called Nam

https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/poetry/bitch-called-nam

0 likes
I googled 420. Well, you learn something new every day, never heard of that before. Think I've led a sheltered life