Updating badges to reflect reality

last reply
71 replies
16.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Has there ever been a consideration of updating the badges here on StoriesSpace to reflect reality? For instance, instead of needing 30,000 views to achieve a Famous story might the threshold be something more realistic for this site? Perhaps 2,500 or so? And might we also consider changing the other badges to show the same reality? It's just a thought. I wasn't aware if that had ever been considered before. The way it is now I would think some badges may never be achieved.

Does anyone have an opinion?
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
I would agree to an extent. Since my stories are counted in the hundreds, even 2500 would be an unlikely achievement.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Forum Facilitator
0 likes
I've never been a big advocate for badges, rating, and/or awards based on numerical significance. It tends to become a cliquish quid pro quo process. However, I think Larry has a good idea in that since the system is already in place, the bar should be set at a reasonable height so that more rather than less members could achieve it.

I would think that 1000 views would get a badge. Therafter, 2500, 5000, 10,000, etc. A system of colored stars could be assigned to a badge as each level is obtained, ie, 5000 views could be a badge with a red star, signifying 6000 views.

One other opportunity for the site... there appears to be quite a wide margin to the right of our avatars in the forums. Perhaps our badges could be shown there as well so that other members could have a quick reference to the achievements of others.
Lurker
0 likes
I joined Lush because of the competitions. I also wanted to explore writing, and continue to improve it.

I would love to see the competitions returned here. If so, I think traffic would increase, but I agree with
the suggestion, requirements for badges should be adjusted.

We have less that 3000 members. Our viewed numbers are in the hundreds, as previously mentioned.

Modify the numbers, re-introduce the competitions, and we will see both an increase in membership,
but also views.

So he confidently says while sitting on this side of the screen with a large glass of vintage port by his side.

Primus Omnium
0 likes
My suggestion would concern just these badges, really. This is my suggestion. For the following badges make them 10 percent of the ones on red.

Famous story: 3,000 views.
Legendary story: 10,000 views
Famous Member: 10,000 views
Famous Vocalist: 5,000 listens
Millionaire's Club (Change to "Viewers' Club"): 100,000 views
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LarryFNigh
My suggestion would concern just these badges, really. This is my suggestion. For the following badges make them 10 percent of the ones on red.

Considering the most views I have of any poem or story is 277, I'll never be famous.

LOL.
Dude, you forgot to mention the bi-monthly competitions.

I do think since there is such interest in comps on Lush, we may get more cross-over
from there, if SS started having comps again. Sorry to harp on this. I think it is that important
that is should be considered. I'm certain there are things like mods and judges, etc. to consider.

I'm not sure what the correct breakdown should be. It's a tough one to determine.

But considering only 9 stories and poems have exceeded 10,000 views, and only 43 have
exceeded 3000 views, given the current viewing numbers of this site, the numbers still
seem too high.

I wish there were ways we could better direct traffic here, creating new members and
higher views. Different thread I suppose, but I think both topics are related.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I support all the suggestions here. I love this site and so want it to grow.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree to lower the numbers.
0 likes
Quote by Ping

Considering the most views I have of any poem or story is 277, I'll never be famous.

Dont say that ping, my stories didnt get over 1000 views until after a few years after posting them when I first joined. They'll get up there, dont worry.

For the rest of the post, yes I fully agree, some badges I feel like only a few people could have achieved.
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by Ping
I joined Lush because of the competitions. I also wanted to explore writing, and continue to improve it.

I would love to see the competitions returned here. If so, I think traffic would increase, but I agree with

We have less that 3000 members. Our viewed numbers are in the hundreds, as previously mentioned.

Modify the numbers, re-introduce the competitions, and we will see both an increase in membership,
but also views.

So he confidently says while sitting on this side of the screen with a large glass of vintage port by his side.

I agree with all of this. The famous story level of 30,000 is actually less than 10% of Lush's members. By the same token, that would equate to around 250 here. Ok, that sounds a little low since I have achieved that on some stories so how about 350 - 400?

I also believe competitions would help (but maybe not judged in the same way as Lush? )
I like this site too. There are some great authors here and it very much deserves to be promoted.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Lurker
0 likes
Fate approves

Seriously, I agree also.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by AnnaMayZing
Quote by Ping

but also views.

I agree with all of this. The famous story level of 30,000 is actually less than 10% of Lush's members. By the same token, that would equate to around 250 here. Ok, that sounds a little low since I have achieved that on some stories so how about 350 - 400?

I also believe competitions would help (but maybe not judged in the same way as Lush? )
I like this site too. There are some great authors here and it very much deserves to be promoted.

Lurker
0 likes
I love badges and awards!

But I thought we weren't supposed to talk about the other "site"?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by starchild

What other site?
Story Moderator
0 likes
Quote by Ping
Quote by starchild

What other site?

Shhhhhh......

I do love badges. So anything that gets me more, I am in favor of. Seriously though, lowering the number of views for a famous story does make a lot of sense to me. Not that any of mine are anywhere near either the current system or the proposed ideas. A girl can hope though.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I so agree in so many ways on what you all say.
Lurker
0 likes
militarygirl3 has gotten the famous story badge for The Test. See it isn't impossible. Just take a long while???

Well achieved though
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Ahhumm!! I posted and it disappeared. Must have done something wrong. Anyway, just stopping by to make sure this little suggestion does not fall by the wayside. Anyone have any more thoughts on the subject?
Lurker
0 likes
If we went for 3000 for a famous story, I'd get a badge.
Story Moderator
0 likes
One other 'badge' that could use a reality check is 'Profile Views'. To qualify for that one, your profile must have at least 100,000 views. Me, I'm only 95,000 short.

And while I'm in mid-bloviation, has anyone else been putting up with unreliable email notification of comments on their stories? The problem might just be me but please let me know if you're in the same boat. In a few days, I'll PM Gav with the problem.

Lurker
0 likes
I have almost 12,000 profile views myself.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
I have over 10,000 profile views. I have over 175,000 story views.
Lurker
0 likes
Profile views I got 14,730 and story total 23,700. A lot less than the oh awesome Larry~
0 likes
I've got 22k story views. I thought that was good. Oh well. Can I have a badge for effort? Please?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have appox 6400 profile views and 38450 total story views
You can't get there from here, because when you get there you're still here and here is now there.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
Quote by LarryFNigh

I just thought I would quote myself and bring up the subject of lowering the numbers needed to achieve some badges here once again.