Find your next favourite story now
Login

Do You Ever Suffer From 'Story Fatigue'?

last reply
5 replies
2.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I am deep into my series story 'Going Away', which I have been working on for several months now. At well over 50k words, it has become my biggest-ever writing exercise. And that has become the problem.

I am enjoying the story and have a whole swathe of ideas to incorporate into the coming chapters. My issue is that I have spent SO long on this one project that it's becoming something of a chore than a pleasure.

I have called this feeling 'story fatigue' as that is how I feel about the project (NOT the story, though)

My question is: does anybody else who tends towards the longer story/serial ever feel the same way about their work? If so, how do you energise yourself to continue with it?
Administration
0 likes
I get that all the time. I have two major unfinished series that I've been trying to finish for years now. I have no idea how to fix it, but I would suggest you take a break from it and work on something short and fun, then get back to it again. Let me know if it works, I seriously need to finish mine as well.

“Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Sherzahd
I get that all the time. I have two major unfinished series that I've been trying to finish for years now. I have no idea how to fix it, but I would suggest you take a break from it and work on something short and fun, then get back to it again. Let me know if it works, I seriously need to finish mine as well.

Ah!

Therein lies the problem.

I have been so distracted by all the other silliness and stuff I've been publishing recently that it's proving hard to re-motivate myself to really work on what I ought to be working on...

Like you, I have other long stories -one of them at least a year old - that remain unfinished.

I have to wonder if it's a concentration issue or something else, perhaps?
0 likes
I've got a long piece of writing that's been 'nearly finished' for two years now. I just don't seem to be able to get stuck into it anymore. I think, for me, I've got too much going on in my life so I can't concentrate. Probably why I keep churning out micro fictions, they don't take long to write.
I do love that category smile
Chasing Dragons
0 likes
And you are exceptionally good at it.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Chasing Dragons
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960

I am deep into my series story 'Going Away', which I have been working on for several months now. At well over 50k words, it has become my biggest-ever writing exercise. And that has become the problem.

I am enjoying the story and have a whole swathe of ideas to incorporate into the coming chapters. My issue is that I have spent SO long on this one project that it's becoming something of a chore than a pleasure.

I have called this feeling 'story fatigue' as that is how I feel about the project (NOT the story, though)

My question is: does anybody else who tends towards the longer story/serial ever feel the same way about their work? If so, how do you energise yourself to continue with it?

I suffered from this until I decided to serialise them and now they are up and running again. 'Anna and Sam' on the red site and 'The Nurses' here.
If I hadn't they would still be stalled.

If anyone wishes to find the beginning of this epic saga, here it is:
https://www.storiesspace.com/stories/drama/the-nurses.aspx

However, since this story is now available in paperback, only the first few chapters remain. Buy at:

https://www.vbay.info/thenurses

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana