Word of The Day

last reply
469 replies
65.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Simple, really: Just state your word of the day. Pick a word, any word, obscure or not. Modern or archaic. Just remember to explain why it's the word of the day, and what it means.

My word is immolation. The reason for this is because it is a word that makes me laugh, though killing something with fire ain't funny, the word itself is.
Ghosts, flamingos, guitars and vodka. Eclectic subjects, eccentric stories:

Humorous guide & Recommended Read =^.^= How To Make a Cup of Tea
A flash fiction series :) A Random Moment in Time
Editors' Pick! :D I Am The Deep, Dark Woods
And another EP!: The Fragility of Age
=^.^=
Lurker
0 likes
Illiteracy.

It's a sad tragedy to see.
0 likes
Heptagon : a polygon having seven angles and seven sides.

Word of the day because I like the sound of it. And it would be a great name for a character in a story.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by gypsy
Heptagon : a polygon having seven angles and seven sides.

Word of the day because I like the sound of it. And it would be a great name for a character in a story.

That's a good one smile

Mine would be happy because that's what I am. I've had a good couple of days, and my family are all happy, so that makes me happy.

=^.^=
Lurker
0 likes
Coward.

Personal reasons
0 likes
Breakfast - literally, it means breaking a fast, and as the first meal of the day, that is what it does - or should do!

I like the sense of it, and although I don't usually want to eat much in the morning, today I really wanted breakfast, and had a good bowl of home-made meusli.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Bawbag. A good wee Scottish word, and versatile, too. The most used meaning, is derogatory. Basically, you're calling someone a scrotum. Its original meaning was a bag where you kept footballs (soccer balls). Can also be spelled ba'bag, the apostrophe denoting the lack of "ll", but I prefer the first one. There was even a storm named after it "Hurricane Bawbag". Yes, Scots are a strange and eccentric nation.

=^.^=
0 likes
Quote by Circle_Something
Bawbag. A good wee Scottish word, and versatile, too. The most used meaning, is derogatory. Basically, you're calling someone a scrotum. Its original meaning was a bag where you kept footballs (soccer balls). Can also be spelled ba'bag, the apostrophe denoting the lack of "ll", but I prefer the first one. There was even a storm named after it "Hurricane Bawbag". Yes, Scots are a strange and eccentric nation.

And it seems to me that the Scot vocabulary is very much phonetic in the way it changes and takes on new words and meanings. I like it and wish I knew more of the vocabulary.

Now for my word of the day:

Reductive : employing an analysis of a complex subject into a simplified, less detailed form; of, pertaining to, or employing reductionism; reductionistic.

Word of the day because it should be, especially at the end of what is, for many of us, the year. At this time there is a lot of looking back at all sorts of things, which are then reduced to not much more than lists. This isn't just limited to the end of the year, but it seems to me to be appropriate for it.
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Quote by gypsy

And it seems to me that the Scot vocabulary is very much phonetic in the way it changes and takes on new words and meanings. I like it and wish I knew more of the vocabulary.

It is, indeed, very phonetic, and versatile. Taking the word "bawbag", it can also be used as a salutation, or a reference to someone, or no one in particular, very much like we use the c-word. There are also regional variations between dialects, so it results in a sometimes confusing lexicon. Take the word "arse", for example, that could be said "erse" (hearse without the h), elsewhere in Scotland, mostly in the upper reaches, but in the lower reaches, it is more likely to be "arse".

My word shall be another Scottish word: Drookit.

Means wet. I have no idea where or how it originated, but I read it first in The Broons & Oor Wullie, so do know it is likely to be a word used a lot in Dundee. Translated, The Broons & Oor Wullie, would be The Browns and Our Willie... Doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

I'd quite like the challenge of writing something in broad Scots, but I know I couldn't do it. As much as I love my language, it is difficult to write, especially when you don't speak it all the time.

=^.^=
0 likes
Today's WotD from me is:

Immiserate : 1 - to make miserable.
2 - to cause to become impoverished.

Why is it today's word? Because I came across "immiseration" in an essay, did not know the word, and could not ascertain its meaning from the context, which latter doesn't occur very often, at least for me. The vague idea I had formed as to its meaning was totally wrong.

It's an interesting word, although it is not used very often.
Lurker
0 likes
Indelible- as it's one of my watasspp group name.. Hehe
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by fewniks
Indelible- as it's one of my watasspp group name.. Hehe

Exonerate - to free or declare free from blame.

It must be a wonderful feeling...
Lurker
0 likes
Gardyloo... A warning shouted before throwing water from above.

Because it's a funny word ...imo
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GIGGLES

That is a GREAT word! I want to use it in one of my stories or poems...

Spangle is a nice word, too: amongst other definitions it means a small sprkling object... and I like small sparkling objects
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by GIGGLES

Gardyloo or Garde a l'eau, watch out for the water. Mmmm... water? It comes from the time, indoor bathrooms and toilets were unknown, to the common folks anyway. They used to shout it before throwing the contents of their chamberpots out of the window..

If life seems jolly rotten
there's something you've forgotten
and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing

from Monty Python's "Life of Brian"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
forgive

I have had to forgive myself as well as others
I ask others to please forgive me

forgive is a beautiful word... it gives a new beginning and to start over. wow
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by paulus
Quote by GIGGLES

Gardyloo or Garde a l'eau, watch out for the water. Mmmm... water? It comes from the time, indoor bathrooms and toilets were unknown, to the common folks anyway. They used to shout it before throwing the contents of their chamberpots out of the window..

Hilariously Gross Haha!!

Awesomelyrrific... a word combination of awesome and terrific that I use often
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by authorised1960
Quote by GIGGLES

That is a GREAT word! I want to use it in one of my stories or poems...

Spangle is a nice word, too: amongst other definitions it means a small sprkling object... and I like small sparkling objects

I would read it for sure especially if it's hilarious!
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
scrumdiddlyumptious.. delicious to the point of quivers..
Lurker
0 likes
hypersensitivity....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Infatuation, a beautiful word for the most beautiful feeling

0 likes
Hibernaculum:

1. a protective case or covering, especially for winter, as of an animal or a plant bud.
2. winter quarters, as of a hibernating animal.

WotD because I like the way it sounds, and definition 2, the idea of having such a place to winter in, warm, dry, cosy, sounds good to me right now.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I like Hibernaculum too:

Lurker
0 likes
nonconformist...

kinda sums up my attitude to life...
Lurker
0 likes
COMPASSION: pity; inclining one to help or be merciful.

It's something we all could do with exhibiting more often. Heaven knows there is a need for it more than ever these days...
Forum Facilitator
0 likes
Prick:

To make a small hole in something with a sharp point.

Make stand erect ("Prick up your ears and listen, boy!")

Vulgar: A part of a man's anatomy.

The vulgarism is the one I'm having for my word of the day. Why? Just because, you prick!

=^.^=
Lurker
0 likes
connundrum...

A word to puzzle over...
Lurker
0 likes
Idiot: Someone who can't work out the answer to a conundrum.

Brilliant - a real laugh-out-loud moment. Thamk you n

Garrulous: talkative; loquacious, wordy (applies to one or two of our friends here, I believe? )